diffuser and lens attachment for wp-dc300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ethan24

Registered
Reaction score
I have a canon s50 with the wp-dc300 housing. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a diffuser for the housing? The flash gets blocked and the lower right portion of all of my pictures are dark.

Also, I am eyeing the sea & sea 3t macro lens adapter. any reviews on this product? Thanks!

I have same camera and housings and the same issue, but I doubt a diffuser would help - the blockage is in the area diagonally opposite the flash where the lens 'port' on the housing obstructs it - the diffuser will spread the light but I don't see how it could get it inot an area it is physically blocked from. I just try to remember not to have my main subject in that quarter - it is only a problem when you are shooting quite close.

The real solution of course is a strobe which you will need if you are going to use add on lenses - I don't have the macro but the sea and sea wide angle is completely incompatible with the internal flash. It almost completely blocks it.

Good luck

Alison

You might want to test the camera in the housing with the diffuser on. I know that the internal flash is blocked by the housing on the Canon A610 (or is it 620??) and using the diffuser that comes with the housing eliminates the problem. Easy enough to test on land.

Canon A610 and Canon A620 are the same camera (just a 2 megapixel difference).

Anyway without the diffuser plating on there will be a shadow in the lower right hand corner of your pics (depending on the orientation of the camera).

I do think though that without a diffuser plating on most if not all the Canon housings using the flash will produce a shadow.

Looks like I was wrong in suggesting a diffuser would not solve the problem. The camera does not come with one - any suggesations on how to create one which was Ethan's original question.

And for those who use the A610/A620 does the diffuser mean you can use internal flash with add on lenses?

Alison

The diffuser may help with the WA, though as you stated the lens itself actually blocks the flash so I'm guessing you would have an area in shadow despite the diffuser - again, worth trying.

Try a pringles top or similar - not too sure what thickness/opacity you will need as the Canon housings I have used all came with a diffuser. You might also try contracting Canon to see if they can supply a diffuser - maybe one from another model could be modified/attached.

Ethan24:
I have a canon s50 with the wp-dc300 housing. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a diffuser for the housing? The flash gets blocked and the lower right portion of all of my pictures are dark.

Also, I am eyeing the sea & sea 3t macro lens adapter. any reviews on this product? Thanks!

Ok..........everybody laughs at me when I suggest this but it seems to work. Until I picked up my Inon Diffuser from Ryan Cannon Photo, I used 5 or 6 layers of frosted scotch tape on the camera flash itself. It seemed to work quite well and I have a couple of pictures in the gallery that were shot this way.
P.S. It's really a cheap way to go until your real diffuser gets there! http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/04.gif
:D

alijtaylor:
I have same camera and housings and the same issue, but I doubt a diffuser would help - the blockage is in the area diagonally opposite the flash where the lens 'port' on the housing obstructs it - the diffuser will spread the light but I don't see how it could get it inot an area it is physically blocked from. I just try to remember not to have my main subject in that quarter - it is only a problem when you are shooting quite close.

The real solution of course is a strobe which you will need if you are going to use add on lenses - I don't have the macro but the sea and sea wide angle is completely incompatible with the internal flash. It almost completely blocks it.

Good luck

Alison

Thanks for the reply Alison, I'm still saving up for the strobe so for the meantime i am looking for ways to remove the shadow / dark area on the lower right corner. I read somewhere that a diffuser might solve this.

alcina:
The diffuser may help with the WA, though as you stated the lens itself actually blocks the flash so I'm guessing you would have an area in shadow despite the diffuser - again, worth trying.

Try a pringles top or similar - not too sure what thickness/opacity you will need as the Canon housings I have used all came with a diffuser. You might also try contracting Canon to see if they can supply a diffuser - maybe one from another model could be modified/attached.

Thanks for the sugesstion. I'll certainly give this a try. I think the wp-dc300 is the only housing of canon that didnt come with a diffuser.

Silvertip57:
Ok..........everybody laughs at me when I suggest this but it seems to work. Until I picked up my Inon Diffuser from Ryan Cannon Photo, I used 5 or 6 layers of frosted scotch tape on the camera flash itself. It seemed to work quite well and I have a couple of pictures in the gallery that were shot this way.
P.S. It's really a cheap way to go until your real diffuser gets there! http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Standard Smiles/04.gif
:D

frosted scotch tape? hhmmm ... i'll give it a try also. which of the pics in your gallery were taken with the scotch tape?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom