Difficulties with "lite" skin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucybuykx

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm on 2Mb broadband and still find the download time for each Scubaboard page interminable so tried out the lite theme. There are a few things that I noticed that you may be able to amend to make it much better to use.

Firstly, high level navigation is lost so there is no way to get to user control panel, private messages or search, unless one knows the URLs. Lack of search is a major blow.

Secondly there are no dates and times so one cannot tell how old a thread is.

And thirdly, I noticed that using threaded view there is no means at all to view anything but the thread starter message. Its ok viewing with linear view.

The first two points require textual linking so I guess would be easy to put into the theme and would not increase download times. The third is likely to be more tricky and perhaps a feature of the software package.

I have found myself a happy solution though. I have turned off images and the page loads very fast. This might sound crazy because none of the standard images are very large, but there are many of them on the page, and all rendered in tables. It seems Firefox loads up the table and then goes about rendering images into it, slow slow slow.

lucybuykx:
Firstly, high level navigation is lost so there is no way to get to user control panel, private messages or search, unless one knows the URLs. Lack of search is a major blow.

Secondly there are no dates and times so one cannot tell how old a thread is.

And thirdly, I noticed that using threaded view there is no means at all to view anything but the thread starter message. Its ok viewing with linear view.

The first two points require textual linking so I guess would be easy to put into the theme and would not increase download times. The third is likely to be more tricky and perhaps a feature of the software package.

I have found myself a happy solution though. I have turned off images and the page loads very fast. This might sound crazy because none of the standard images are very large, but there are many of them on the page, and all rendered in tables. It seems Firefox loads up the table and then goes about rendering images into it, slow slow slow.
We're aware of some of the current issues with the lite theme.

A work-around for your first issue is to click on the Private Messages link. That will give you access to the User CP.

Back
Top Bottom