different set of ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mickb999

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Does anyone has had trouble with one ear only? While my left ear respond well to all equalization technique, the right one is a mystery. It cloggs by itself after the morning dive and is much, much slower to equalize.

I am wondering if it could come from the sinus or an Eustachian tube situation. On surface, Valsalva pops both tube opens, but that is not true going down. I have had more luck with Toynbee and Frenzel on the right ear.

I am interested to read anybody's experience with non-similar ears.

Thanks in advance

Hi mickb999:

I would hazard to guess that it's not at all uncommon to have more trouble with one ear than the other, particularly if the trouble is anatomical and not with technique.

Scubadoc's answer at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1960

has a lot of good info. While your problem is a little different than the other poster's, much of his answer still applies.

HTH,

Bill

Hi mickb999,
I had a very similar problem with my ears when I started diving a few months ago. My answer? I quit smoking and have cut Way back on dairy products. I also equalize a couple times a day on land just to work that ear. I've found that my equalization techniques have become more effective with experience too.

As always, your milage may vary :)

-kate

Thank you all for the info.

I'll try to get an thorough exam, but it might be difficult, as I am working on location in Thailand for a while.

I know I have a deviation of the nasal septum since a long time, but that never bothered me until I started diving. The Oceanic proear mask helped a lot, but my problem seems serious.

Safe diving to all.
Mick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom