Different equalization techniques - which one is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not know about any problems with mouthpiece, when I made Frenzel-Fattah equalization.
Using the tongue as plunger never interfering with mouthpiece for me.
Even when your tip of the tongue touching mouthpiece, is does not blocking to touch upper side of the tongue to the roof of the mouth.

I have heard about this but I can't perform it myself...

Clearing the ears "no hands"

I've heard that actually not all can equalize hands free but only some persons who happen to have a better control of the movement of the involved muscles. Is that true or anybody can learn the technique?
A very interesting video of the details. I wonder if I just happened to inadvertently figure out the hands free thing (as described in my "yawning/crackling sound" post).

I grit my teeth, bear down slightly, and the gas is expelled. Then I add a bit of gas to BCD to equalize. Works like a charm.

I grit my teeth, bear down slightly, and the gas is expelled. Then I add a bit of gas to BCD to equalize. Works like a charm.

What does adding gas to your BCD have to do with equalizing?

Just don't use that technique in a dry suit.

I learned today that here they use also this sort of gadget called "otovent" in order to exercise Frenzel maneuver (or "Marcante-Odaglia" which is the same)
It is some sort of balloon to be inflated from one of the nostrils

I can 'hands free' it with ease but what I find is that my frontal sinuses don't clear and end up squeezed.

Back
Top Bottom