Differences in Nylon webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolfie_47

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's come time to re-web my backplate. I ordered the 2" heavy nylon web but I noticed once it arrived that it is softer and much more flexible than the dive rite harness that is was originally laced with; will this be a problem? I measured the thickness with a set of calipers and the original and the new web is the same thickness so I assume the load bearing qualities are the same. Any thoughts?

You hear frequently that larger guys with wide shoulders prefer stiffer webbing, but I do not have an issue wit Halcyon's softer webbing and I am a large framed fellow...

I am kind of surprised to hear that your heavy webbing can be softer than DiveRite harness webbing. I have DR, it was utterly soft and sloppy, so soft that once wet, d-rings will not stay in place. Anyway, not all the webbing are the same. Different stiffness is one thing, I also notice different width even they are all classified as 2inches.

The stiffest webbing I have ecountered is from Piranha. It feels uncomfortably stiff when dry. Once wet, it is just nice. I would recommend it for cold water diving where exposure suit is thick, so when d-on initially (dry), it won't cause disconfort. This webbing is also true 2 inches (on the wider end)

I also have some webbing from DRIS. They are not too stiff, comfortable when dry even with t-shirt, but can be stiffer when wet. Still not bad, much much better than my DR webbing. This webbing is NOT true 2 inches. I would say 1.90 inches, well enough difference to tell from the Pirahna version.

Then there is the Halcyon webbing, which I like the best. Stiffness level is between Piranhna and DRIS, comfortable with t-shirt, but still stiff enough when wet so everything will stay in place securely. H webbing is also NOT true 2 inches tho. It is on the expansive side as everything else from Halcyon, but they last quite long tho.

As long as it's still resin-reinforced nylon, it should be fine. As you can read above, there are different preferences among divers for how stiff webbing should be. I don't like really stiff stuff; I prefer the Halycon, or the webbing I bought from Northeast Scuba Supply, which is more supple. What you CAN'T use is seat-belt type webbing, the polypropylene stuff. It's far too floppy, and it will not hold a triglide.

I am a stuff webbing kinda guy. I have three backplates and a side mount harness, well two once the new one gets here. All four items have stiff stiff webbing. The backplate with soft webbing will eventually be replaced and the webbing will be relegated to crotch strap webbing.

Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like what I bought is probably OK. The Dive rite harness was purchased in 2002 and the harness was so stiff that it was almost impossible to weave it into the buckle and the D ring retainers and it hasn't gotten any softer with time.

I bet DiveRite relegate that stiff webbing into their crotch strap :). Yes, their crotch strap uses some of stiffest webbing I have seen, thin and stiff, very uncomfortable.

The difference is in the degree to which the nylon webbing has been impregnated with resin. Some of it is incredibly stiff. At the other extreme with no epoxy resin 2" webbing is to to soft and limp.

As long as you can put it on without the shoulder straps rolling over on themselves it should be fine.

Along with stiff webbing, for you "cold water glove" types, check out SR-1 and WR-2: Harness Hardware | Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork

---------- Post Merged on August 11th, 2012 at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 10th, 2012 at 10:42 PM ----------

...//... I have DR, it was utterly soft and sloppy, so soft that once wet, d-rings will not stay in place. ...//...

I bet DiveRite relegate that stiff webbing into their crotch strap :). Yes, their crotch strap uses some of stiffest webbing I have seen, thin and stiff, very uncomfortable.

????

I find the DR crotch strap to be quite appropriate. You must know that they sell just the crotch strap assembly. DR uses a polyurethane over-sleeve that is quite comfortable. Have you actually used a DR crotch strap? I use one on both of my harnesses. 10# SS BP and 2# AL BP. More comfortable than basic stiff webbing, no sewing necessary. Need a picture?

---------- Post Merged on August 11th, 2012 at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was on August 10th, 2012 at 10:42 PM ----------

...//...the harness was so stiff that it was almost impossible to weave it into the buckle and the D ring retainers ...//...

You "roll" it in the direction you want it to go using needle nose pliers. -can't do by hand with most any webbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom