Differences between the "new" SP MK2 and the SP MK2+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenjaminF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the actual differences between the "new" ScubaPro MK2 and the MK2+ ?
I asked about changing my yoke MK2 to a DIN fitting, and was told by the technician that unless it is the MK2+ a 300 BAR fitting can't be used. Is this true?

Very early MK2's used a different DIN converter than the current Scubapro converters.
.....nothing to do with 200 vs 300 BAR though.

The MK2 and MK2 plus use different DIN retainers but they both can be converted to DIN and the schematic shows it as 300BAR for the MK2.

Different in that they are different part numbers or different in that one can not be interchanged with the other? Yoke and din retainer size and threading seems to be the same on all modern (mail retainer threads) SP firsts with some differences in length and O-ring seal location. SP seem to do a pretty good job of keeping and standardizing a design that works.

What is the "new MK2?" I don't see it on SP's website, but maybe it's a Europe-only model. The "+" was added at some point to designate the TIS system, which is just an anti-freeze coating on some parts I believe. It's not like the difference between the MK10 and MK10+. which use different seats, pistons, etc...

New meaning visually identical to the mk2+, apart from just being labelled mk2.

So I can assume that the nice technician is trying to hit me up for a new 1st stage, instead of simply changing out/selling me the connector?

Early MK2's had an "outie" barrel that the DIN converter screwed over, later MK2's and MK2 Plus had an "innie" that the DIN converter screwed into....this type is the current one that fits all present models.
They are not interchangeable.

If you remove your yoke retaining nut and are left with a barrel sticking out of the body you will not be able to convert to DIN.

Different in that they are different part numbers or different in that one can not be interchanged with the other? Yoke and din retainer size and threading seems to be the same on all modern (mail retainer threads) SP firsts with some differences in length and O-ring seal location. SP seem to do a pretty good job of keeping and standardizing a design that works.

I was looking at the schematics and the only MK2 listed was the old one. I am confident Scubapro has a DIN fitting for your regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom