Difference [weight + trim] between AL80 and AL100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Due to circumstances out of my control; tomorrow I will be using an AL100 for the first time.

I know my ideal weighting for an AL80, and a few people around the shop told me that an AL100 will let me subtract 4 lbs from my weightbelt.
Obviously it is heavier on land, but does that translate to the water?

Also, was wondering if the tank will have different trim than an AL80. I know it is wider and ever so slightly longer. Front/back heavy?

EDIT: To make things worse, one is a Luxfer and one is a Catalina.

Should be a fun day...

Thanks for the help, guys.

Deepstops - yup, after doing the research I found out that the Luxfer is more buoyant.

This will be an interesting day... I'll report back after the dives!

Last edited:
Update:

Dives went well. Throughout the day, I used the AL 100 Luxfer, AL100 Catalina, and an AL80 [forget brand].

Wetsuit was 7 mm, boots 5mm, gloves 3mm. No hood.
Gear was SS BP with Eclipse 30 wing and STA [7-8-ish negative], Atomic M1 regs [2 lbs negative?] - had to use a yoke adapter, which added ~1lb negative. Fins were Vipers, which are neutral.
I'm ~155, very little "bioprene"

On my weightbelt:
AL80 - 8 lbs, my usual, worked great. Might have been 2 lbs heavy, as the 8 lbs is for when I'm also wearing a 5 mm hood, which I wasn't today.
Luxfer AL100 - 4 lbs, worked perfectly!
Catalina AL100 - none! But, never drained it past 1400 psi [students called dive] so I possibly could have have been a bit light in the end. Maybe not.

Just figured I'd post these numbers up in case anyone was doing some searching in the future. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom