Difference in the Abyss 42 Metal, Mares Abyss 22 new style and also old Abyss 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Abyss 42 uses the MR42 first stage. I believe Mares also made a V42, which evolved from the Limited Edition Proton Metal first stage introduced some years ago. It has the same port configuration as the MR22 but has slightly different internal components. You will also notice that the MR42/V42 has been relieved of any excess material to yield an extremely compact and lightweight first stage. I have held the Mares Limited Edition Metal first stage and it was super light.

The second stage has not changed, apart from its front face plate. Mares began with a solid face plate, to one with mesh grid, to another that that had intake holes that looked like a vortex and now back to the mesh grid. I assume their performance are nearly identical since the second stage is nearly identical (VAD) with the first stage sharing similar designs (DFC). I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them as Mares regulators breathes smoothly and naturally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom