Difference between Draco and D10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never owned a Draco, but my first drysuit was the D10.
I enjoyed that suit but I switched to the D7.
Ill start with the cons then on to the pros. I hope this helps
Cons
-Its neoprene, crushed neoprene, but I still had a good amount of buoyancy which meant I needed extra weight. If you've never owned a drysuit before, you'll need a few extra pounds to compensate anyways.
-Its back zipped so you have to rely on someone else to zip you up. I went to Divers institute of technology and I had to have a lot of trust with my tenders and dive buddies in making sure they had me fully zipped. One of the divers who also owned a D10 had the front protected zipper zipped up and not the main one and ended up flooded and cold in Lake Union for an hour. If you don't have a problem with it back zipped, then you'll be fine. Also if you're going to a underwater welding school, I would recommend a back zipper as you can run the risk of burning off a front zipper. Ive seen it happen.
-Its not very flexible especially in the arms, I think due to the neoprene. Its not bad, but it can be annoying compared to other drysuits or wetsuits.
-If you're bony, the neck ring can be a little bit uncomfortable, but it can be fixed with extra padding by placing small towels on your shoulders
-It is possible water will "sweat" through the drysuit. Its not a lot, but I noticed trilams tend to be a little more drier post dive.

Now for the pros:
-Its got an integrated silicone system for the wrist and neck seals. thats the number one thing I liked about this drysuit. Its easy to fix in a pinch and its protected by the neck guard. The seals can be pricy, but if you're careful with your seals, Its worth it. Not to mention you're saving time lost sending it out to be repaired. They're also a lot more tougher than latex, providing an excellent seal.
-Its heavy duty, so it can take a beating. Like this thing is built like a tank. I spent almost a year under lake union with that drysuit and there was little sign of excessive wear compared to my classmates who sported the northern diver.
-You won't need as much undergarments to wear compared to a trilam drysuit as the neoprene is much thicker, creating more insulation
-If you're familiar with working with wetsuits and fixing them, its almost the exact same concept.
-The drysuit comes with two pockets. Need I say more on them? More room for sunken treasure!
-The suit squeeze isn't as bad compared to a trilam

Overall, if I had to go back to a neoprene drysuit, Id go back to the D10. When writing this, I noticed I was comparing it more to a trilam. Sorry about that.

I did look up a draco drysuit however and the only difference I saw with it was that the draco doesn't have the integrated silicone system. Im assuming its also a little more cheaper if you can find it. The links I clicked on showed they were no longer available.

The link provided will give you an idea what its like to don a waterproof drysuit with a back zipper.

Hope this all helps

Outstanding information. Thanks I have dove several types of drysuits, Trilam and neoprene. I like the neoprene. I saw that the D10 is better suited for commercial diving. I have been diving the ScubaPro Everdry 4. I do like it. It's just that the D10 came across as very rugged, very durable.

I just purchased a Waterproof D10. Waiting for it to come in. I am concerned about the size I ordered. XXL. I'm 6'1" 193lbs 32" waste, 46" chest, 43" hips,26" quads,17" arms.I found one to try on before ordering. My legs were tight to get in, chest and arms fit well I guess. Didn't really focus on it being that the mid section area is huge on me. I couldn't find an XL to try but was concerned XL wouldn't be big enough to wear with any sort of fleece undergarment. I know it's better to have more space than too little in a drysuit.
I currently dive a ScubaPro Everdry XL. It's tight with undergarment (ScubaPro Climasphere fleece)
Is it a normal fit for the D10 to have excess room or what is the normal excess for these suits.
Advice if any from anyone.

I think I would have been better off with an XL.
Try it out before you rip any tags out that way you can exchange it. I'm larger than you and I fit comfortably in a XL. You might want to double check I though. Most shops get that the wrong size is frustrating. As long as you have the tags and everything and NOT dive in it. You should be able to exchange it

Bought it at a going out of business dive shop. Online price too good to say no to. Figured I could do something with it even if it doesn't fit. I'm sure XXL would dive fine but I don't want bigger than I need.

4E6BA7FA-8BB2-4446-9D89-6442339B8AE7.jpeg
957D8C1C-9C78-4F80-9C36-6E4AAA936165.jpeg
514B7822-BBC8-4057-89B6-4AF491E80399.jpeg
9835DFBD-690B-4301-92AA-461123E62DA4.jpeg
01AE6FF1-9F8C-4162-B7FC-127E45C625E3.jpeg

This is an XXL. I burped it to take out the puffy of the suit. Not a bad fit. If left some room in the legs for undergarments as well as the upper body. Just really baggy in the mid section. For reference of the fitment here are my
Measurements
6’1”
195lbs +\-
46” chest
32” waste
43” hips
26” quads
17” arms
All measurements relaxed.

any opinions on its fitment from those who have advice? This is a friend's suit. Not the one I bought. I purchased the D10 Pro ISS. I didn't find any difference but maybe less "broken in" when I get mine. Love the durability of this thing.

Back
Top Bottom