Diapers, lightning and manure: the essence of adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A fun exploration trip in the sinkholes of the Yucatan, Mexico.

[...] I don't really know how I became part of it. It might be my experience with rope-work, or my track-record at surviving chains of bad decisions inside and outside the water. Maybe it's just the fact that I don't complain too much no matter how bad the food is. Whatever the reason, I was very excited to be part of a team of four motivated explorers and a restless dog named Exley.

I am not new to these kind of endeavors, As an enthusiastic urban dweller with a penchant for adventure, my whole life has been a zig-zag between the glow of the city lights and some insane mission at the edge of the civilized world. And while I enjoy sharing stories of my adventures beyond what conventional wisdom considers safe, I have always struggled to pin point the reason why I chose to live like that. It is the beauty of the places I get to see? yes, but not really. "Do you like danger?" people ask. No, I hate danger. Is it the technical challenge? Sometimes it is, but really, probably not. I know for sure it's not the bragging rights, because beyond the occasional like on Facebook, nobody really cares.

The amount of time, money, effort, equipment, training, isolation, pain and risk one needs to endure to be part of this game seems disproportionate compared to an intangible reward that I am not even able to explain with clarity. Yet, the draw of adventure is always there and it is during this very expedition that I managed to understand what it is that makes it so important to me... Read more at:

Diapers, lightning and manure: the essence of adventure | lukefranco

blu.png

Terrific pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Just....wow! Excellent story man! Very well-written and the pictures are breathtaking. Almost makes me want to take up tech diving. Maybe some day I suppose. But just to see some of the things you've seen.....I'm almost a bit jealous.

Wow! Just....wow! Excellent story man! Very well-written and the pictures are breathtaking. Almost makes me want to take up tech diving. Maybe some day I suppose. But just to see some of the things you've seen.....I'm almost a bit jealous.

You are too nice, but thank you!
If you decide you want to take up tech, get in touch, happy to chat about it!

Great read! Seriously well done!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom