Diabetes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been sitting in class, with a pool session to immediately follow, where the class was handed the form then informed that if we answered yes to any questions we would need a doctor's approval. You just answer no to all questions, sign it, and hand it in.

Ralph

...and that sets up a chain of events that becomes hard to break. You get your certification without telling anyone, then you do your OWD, etc. At some point, you need to tell folks your are diving with, which will highlight that you got that far without doing so. It becomes harder and harder to do as you go on.

I would like to start off by saying I am not a doctor, but I am an insulin dependent diabetic and I can tell you from first hand experience, DO NOT DIVE WITH THE MINI-MED PUMP ON, It will self-destruct, I know because I have done it. I always assumed I would not be able to dive while wearing my pump, however I was taken off the pump a couple of years ago and one day while on a shallow dock inspection dive ( about 15ft ) I decided to wear it just to find out how it would perform...it flooded pretty quickly, I called Mini-med and told them what had happened, and since in their original brochure they stated that the pump was waterproof, they actually replaced the pump, however the new brochure is written differently. They do have a water resistant bag that will keep it dry in 8ft or shallower water so it would probably be okay for snorkeling and such.

As for diving with diabetis it can and is done safely everyday, however as you know you should ALWAYS check with your doctor before doing any new type of activity. When I dive I usually try and start the dive with slightly higher than normal blood sugar levels so that I have a bit of a safety margin built into the dive since it would be far more dangerous to have an incidence of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) than slightly higher blood sugars. I usually start non- working dives between 140-180, however I am not implying that your wife do the same because everyone is different and it is just something she will have to learn with experience. The other thing I would like to say is that I would encourage her to start out slowly and encourage you to watch her very closely, and please, whatever you do always let the others you dive with know of your wifes condition, I know how hard it can be when uneducated people assume that you shouldn't be doing what you are doing, but there are plenty of insructors out there familiar with the disease and would be more than happy to help you I'm sure. Also if there is anything I could ever do or offer an opinion on with the pump, diving or anything else I would be happy to. I am also happy to knowthat your wife is getting out there and trying to stay active, this will help her in the long an short runs very much....Have Fun!:mean:

Back
Top Bottom