DGX now selling Lenhardt & Wagner compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never heard of Lenhardt & Wagner, but DGX is now selling a portable compressor that they make, along with parts.

While there are many options in small compressors, it's good to see new ones.

In (at least some countries) Europe L&Ws are common in scuba. They are quality gear. A dive club I visited recently has a very nice new large volume silent L&W. A beautiful machine.

longer expected service life due to better build quality. higher upfront cost, but you expect to get it back by having less downtime and keeping the compressor for more years without major repairs or replacement. math probably wouldn't work for someone just doing a few dozen fills a year in their garage though.

What makes the L&W model worth a 50% premium over a similar compressor like this one?

DGX L&W ~$5k
L&W 100E1 Breathing Air Compressor

Nuvair 8014.1 ~$3.5k
Nuvair MCH-6 Portable High Pressure Air Compressor - Electric 3 HP 230V 60HZ Single Phase - 4500 PSI Maximum Pressure

I am not an expert but L&W compressors are built to last a very long time without issues. Not to say that Nuvair compressors (they are Coltrisub compressors) aren't good, but L&W are in a class by themselves. I know about them from seeing them in Libya and how durable they are in very difficult conditions.

I live less than 20 miles from where the L&W compressors are made, and have done a bit of business with them in the past.
They are a quality operation and their products are at least as good as those made by Bauer.
Unlike Nuvair (Coltrisub MCH-6) they are not designed to fail before 500 hours of use, and can be expected to require service (oil change) after about 1000 hours and repair approaching 4-5000 hours (Drive belts, valves, piston rings n sleeves). Haven't yet seen one that was badly enough broken that it wasn't worth repairing.
BTW the bigger Coltrisub compressors, MCH-16 and bigger, are also well worth having, I've seen lots of them in operation at dive destinations in Italy and Croatia with happy owners. Only the MCH-6, which is normally sold to end users, doesn't hold up well. Coltri would be doing themselves a big favour if they stopped production of that model.

Michael

Agree with what Michael says. Just want to add that the small L&W has a more robust valve pill similar to the Kidde/Noah Howden compressors which is superior to the small Bauer Junior system of valves.
The Coltri Mch6 uses a 4 stage cross configuration where the bottom 4th stage is the oil sump which makes it high maintenance. At least the larger 3 stage Coltris have a proper sump.
My choice would be a L&W over the Bauer Junior.

LOL ... I think I need to offer a little on the Nuvair MCH6.

They are NOT designed to fail at 500 hours. I have customers that are still running their compressors since the 80s. To be fair, I also have some that have trashed their compressors in the first year of running. If you are one of those guys that doesn't believe in oil changes, then the MCH6 is NOT for you because of that 4th stage in the sump. But, if you change your oil, filters and valves, $2,700 (the real price for an MCH6) can't buy you a better system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom