DGX Deep 6 Second Stage Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmart921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I recently picked up a DGX Deep 6 regulator package from Dive Gear Express and have put a few dives on it so far; several quarry dives and several pool dives, nothing deeper than 40 ft. Overall I've been really impressed with the performance of the regs, especially for such a fair price. I love the design of the first stage, the head port makes hose routing super easy with a long hose primary.

However, on my last couple dives I've noticed an issue with the second stage breathing wet. In normal horizontal trim it's just the occasional wet breath, but if I go inverted or flip over onto my back, the regulator takes in a LOT of water. Like... a lot. To the point where I can't actually breathe in those positions because the reg is essentially totally flooded. Most of the time it's not a massive issue, but I do like to go inverted from time to time--whether it's to dump air from my wing, get a good view at something, or just look up at the surface--and it would be nice to be able to breathe while doing so. It was particularly noticeable on my last dive where my buddy tended to be slightly above me. I had to time my breaths so that I was exhaling whenever I looked up.

From reading reviews it seems like a couple others have had this issue with the DGX regs as well as the HOG Zenith second stage. Does it have something to do with the design of the exhaust valve? Or did I just get a faulty regulator? Has anyone else here experienced this?

For reference, I'm a fairly new diver (40 dives since getting certified last September) so I don't have a lot of experience with different regs. My only previous regulator was an Aqua Lung Legend LX, which breathed perfectly in any orentiation. Obviously it was also much more expensive, so maybe not a fair comparison.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Check for debris in the exhaust valve. That's the usual culprit.

I'll check that the next chance I get. I wasn't sure if it was inherent to the design of these second stages, considering they're brand new and both of mine have the issue.

The exhaust valve can be accessed just by removing the regulator cover and diaphragm, correct?

correct on removing the cover and diaphragm.

All regulators of this design breathe quite wet if the exhaust port is the high spot of the regulator. The exhaust valve relies on vacuum pressure to seal during normal use because of the pressure differential inside of the case. It's not a whole lot, but it's just enough to keep it sealed. When any part of the exhaust diaphragm becomes the high point of the case, that negative pressure to keep it sealed becomes positive pressure it will ALWAYS leak. The degree that it leaks is dependent on the case design and some are more problematic than others, but any second stage of that design will breathe wet when you roll over.

I dove with two guys this weekend who were using Deep6 regs. They both said that they love them, but they have this same problem. I don't know if they had the Signature or the DGX Custom, but I'm almost certain it was DGX Custom based on appearance.

Like T Bones said. when you invert with that type of reg design, it will go wet a bit. my HOGs do the same thing.
If it does leak a bit when you are face down, check the exhaust valve diaphragm. you probably have dirt in it.

I just finished a week in Grand Cayman trialing my new Hollis 500e.
Much as I love my Poseidons, the Hollis was a star! Dry in all positions due to its coaxial diaphragm/exhaust valve. Compact, yet easy breathing.
It's a shame Hollis' business position is uncertain after the Huish takeover. Why? Because this design addresses the one worry that non-Poseidon divers have about the Jetstream: the upstream servo tilt-valve. For Hollis, it's a downstream servo valve that is failsafe. A great regulator, and very underappreciated.

@rsingler all the ones in cave country started leaking eventually, hopefully yours behaves. Biggest issue I had with them was the first stage is terrible for pretty much everything except deco bottles. Weird decision to go with that design.

Nothing new with that reg other than the housing though. Same design as the Oceanic Omega's before it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom