DGX Custom 30# vs Hog 32# BPW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would recommend that if you do go with the HOG kit.....or any other BDC for that matter....that you dont get the "delux" harness.

mine came with one, and it lasted around 4 dives before i couldnt stand it, and replaced it with a "hogatharian" style single strap harness.

the "delux" harness never really felt secure....and the hundred or so D-Rings they felt the need to put on it jingled like mad....sounded like santas reindeer walking around.

i would recommend that if you do go with the HOG kit.....or any other BDC for that matter....that you dont get the "delux" harness.

mine came with one, and it lasted around 4 dives before i couldnt stand it, and replaced it with a "hogatharian" style single strap harness.

the "delux" harness never really felt secure....and the hundred or so D-Rings they felt the need to put on it jingled like mad....sounded like santas reindeer walking around.

I eventually removed all of my “deluxe” padding, as well. I liked the setup initially, but the more I used it...the more I wanted to streamline things.

That and cut weight. It takes a few pounds of added weight just to sink that padding. The same with the 10lb pouches that come with the HOG deluxe setup. Get to where you’re using steel tanks and ditch the padding and you can go with smaller pouches and less added weight.

I got the DRIS package last week that included all HOG gear (aluminum plate and standard harness) and DRIS's Mirage 23/38lb wings. I got about 10 dives in it last week. The Mirage wing is a nice piece of gear and worked well, but I think I'm going to remove the bungee cord from the smaller 23 lb wing as it seemed to not allow full inflation. It wasn't an issue, but I think I'd feel better without it.

The HOG backplate and standard harness worked great. Couldn't be happier.

I'm a little late to the party, but I'd say go for the least expensive one. The reason I say that is because if you're considering bp/w you're probably leaving yourself open to tech equipment in the future. Spend as little as possible on this one because you'll end up buying a sidemount harness or a steel BP going forward anyway for the tech stuff and in either case you'll likely wind up with a full single tank kit and a full multi tank kit. I got a mares aluminum bp/w thinking I was saving myself some hassle and ended up buying a steel bp, a second harness to go with it, a doubles wing, basically a complete second set of gear to do tech stuff in alongside my singles set.

At the end of the day, all bp/w are pretty much the same (do get the standard harness and not the deluxe) so go for price now so you don't have to grit your teeth like I'm doing when you expand later.

I'm a little late to the party, but I'd say go for the least expensive one. The reason I say that is because if you're considering bp/w you're probably leaving yourself open to tech equipment in the future. Spend as little as possible on this one because you'll end up buying a sidemount harness or a steel BP going forward anyway for the tech stuff and in either case you'll likely wind up with a full single tank kit and a full multi tank kit. I got a mares aluminum bp/w thinking I was saving myself some hassle and ended up buying a steel bp, a second harness to go with it, a doubles wing, basically a complete second set of gear to do tech stuff in alongside my singles set.

At the end of the day, all bp/w are pretty much the same (do get the standard harness and not the deluxe) so go for price now so you don't have to grit your teeth like I'm doing when you expand later.

you pretty much hit the nail on the head. thanks for the input. I figure when tech stuff comes down the line that would be the case anyways haha

Does anyone have any experience with the Manta Predator wing? At $250, it looks like a good deal for a 30lb wing: 1000D Cordura, cam band slots, US made.

It looks like these are no longer in production, but Piranha and Northeast Scuba Supply have them in stock. Manta Predator 30 Pound Lift Wing
Did you buy it? How was your experience, I found 1 with steel plate and harness for 400 us but there's any information or review about the wing. I wonder if it's a good deal.

Did you buy it? How was your experience, I found 1 with steel plate and harness for 400 us but there's any information or review about the wing. I wonder if it's a good deal.
No. I wasn't looking for myself, but so I could help out people looking for inexpensive rigs at a time when there weren't many wing options. Today, I mostly point folks to the DGX Gears package:

Back
Top Bottom