Developers consider turning sunken Titanic sister ship into divers' theme park.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At 400 fsw, I don't expect many to have the training and experience to do that dive. I hope to one day, but that won't be anytime soon.

Is he like Greek, or something....oh wait....I get it...

It only took them 40 years. The Greek govt has put dozens of people through loops just to dive the wreck even though they do not own it. Less than 30 divers have been over Britannic since JC located her in the 1970s. That means that 40 years of decay has happened and valuable items that were recognizable or intact could now be lost forever. That goes for the structural integrity of the ship. Nothing angers me more than when someone says" you can't dive there because I said so".

Some bad ideas never die. Heard about similar plans many years ago.

It only took them 40 years. The Greek govt has put dozens of people through loops just to dive the wreck even though they do not own it. Less than 30 divers have been over Britannic since JC located her in the 1970s. That means that 40 years of decay has happened and valuable items that were recognizable or intact could now be lost forever. That goes for the structural integrity of the ship. Nothing angers me more than when someone says" you can't dive there because I said so".
Prior to 2006, diving in Greece was severely restricted. If you understood the sheer number of ancient wrecks that reside there you would understand that it wasn't because someone said so. Those 22 wrecks that were "discovered" around the Greek island of Fourni? Well, they were discovered by a free diving sponge fisherman who made records and passed those down to his son who was the guide on that boat that did the "discoveries". He has hundreds more of GPS coordinates for wrecks in the eastern Aegean.

I understand the the mess that Greece has put divers through as I met a few, including one who dove Britannic. I have no professional opinions on wrecks that date back to antiquity. They would be at risk and damaged unless they lie below recreational depths. Modern wrecks like Britannic however are well known in design, along with artifacts could offer a great technical diving opportunity and is certantly a second best to Titanic. I agree that a "Theme Park" is ridiculus.

Back
Top Bottom