Detuning regs 'just a hair'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a small collection of HOG D1 with classics.

In <10C water, some seconds are more free flow prone than others.

What would one expect to spend to have someone look at/adjust them (make sure the IP are all the same), and detune* the seconds slightly?

*all the regs have the external adjuster screwed in all the way and no Venturi, otherwise they free flow, even in use.

BRad

What would one expect to spend to have someone look at/adjust them (make sure the IP are all the same), and detune* the seconds slightly?

If you can take them back to the service agent, and they were serviced not to long ago, then it should not cost anything. The fact that external adjuster screwed in all the way means likely means the seats have bedded in.

Alternatively you could adjust them.

If you have an IP gauge you could check the IP, if they have been services recently this should be okay. I expect this should be about 140psi, and should lock to that after breathing on the reg, and should not then drift higher.

To adjust, if you take the LP hose of the second stage you should see the orifice, slot screw head or hex drive. If you hold the purge in and turn the orifice about a 12th turn clockwise (12oclock to 1oclock) and the retry the reg, backing off the balance adjuster until it free flows. You many need to adjust the orifice a few times, aim to have it not free flow or free flow only when the adjuster is almost fully screwed out.

you can do it yourself. Best way to do it is to screw the adjuster all the way out, then turn the screw mentioned until the top of the lever is level with the top of the case, then drop it a smidgen. You'll have to tap the lever to get it to be stable. From there it should be fine. You can check IP yourself, no need to bring that in, gauges are like $15 and one of the most valuable tools in a save a dive kit and should be part of your precheck rituals as HP seat failures is the #1 cause of regulator failures and can be easily seen with an IP gauge.

http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/apeks/
These are Apeks manuals, but adjustment is the same.

Thanks for the replies.

Would getting an inline adjuster tool be worthwhile for down the road? (I have a few items to order from DGX anyways ....)

BRad

I don't see the use for them with as little tuning as I do, it certainly makes it faster if you are doing it regularly, but if not, there is no need for it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom