Detector not detecting white gold??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Dawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings,

I am borrowing a friend's brand new detector:

aquascan aquapulse aq1b standard diver kit metal detector with 15" submersible coil 1323-aq1010

I am very new at this and am hoping to find a buddy's lost white gold wedding ring in a lake nearby.

I watched a few YouTube videos and read the manual. I thought I had it tuned well. I set out a course of several items on my garage floor: aluminum can pop tops, penny, razor blade, white gold wedding ring, super glue tube, etc. They all give good hits...but the whit gold ring by itself gave zero signal.

Anyone familiar with this detector able to give me some tips on this, please?

Another buddy and myself spend 4 hours a few weeks back with a small handheld detector at this lake...got hundreds of hits...but no ring. I was holong6this could be turned for just gold...but that seems incorrect.

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a garrett sea hunter which is also PI. It takes practice to get a feel for what it's doing because there are so many variables: object depth, object size, swing speed, metal type.... Putting items on the floor may not give you a sufficient representation.

White gold is heavily alloyed and coated to make it white, that might be part of it..... just brainstorming.

Agreed that I will have to test in the local lake....just want to make sure I am setting myself up for success as best I can.

Online, it sure seems like these should pick up white gold without issues.

Your concrete floor is loaded with rebar. Take it out side, try it with both yellow and white gold, also try different orientations because things like wedding bands can have a very small cross section.

Next testing out on the new asphalt driveway...had very different results. No white gold detected still...and the penny, razor blade, soda can ring...none were detected either!

I will try and call the store my buddy bought this from....bummer :(

My yellow gold rings wedding ring hits right at 69 on my Garrett AT Pro. Never tried white gold. I suspect your setup needs adjustment if not detecting that other stuff. There may be a notch filter turned on and it isn't obvious.

Ring size and weight probably come into play in the reading and they can vary from 40 -75 for gold.

Pay great attention to your threshold, that gold ring might only signal to you as a break in the audio tone of the threshold and not some screaming signal.

Having a large coil is not necessarily An advantage in this scenario. (I would personally opt for my smallest coil when looking for smaller gold).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom