Detailing clay for masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone every tried detailing clay for cleaning mask lenses? I've used it to clean car windshields of all the minute particles that stick to the glass and don't come off with washing. After several months of diving, my mask lenses never seem quite as clear as when new, no matter how much I wash them. I tried clay on an old mask yesterday, and the lens DID look a little clearer, but I haven't tried it under water yet, and haven't tried it on my current mask yet. I figured I'd ask here before I test it out on a nice mask and discover problems others already know about

For those who read this far but don't know, detailing clay is like kids play-doh. Auto body shops use it to remove paint overspray, and people use it on their car to restore car finishes to glass-like consistency. You lubricate the surface you want to clean, like with soap and water, then gently move the clay back and forth until the surface is incredibly smooth. It doesn't grind down the surface, but somehow it picks up the tiny particles embedded on the surface that don't some off with a thorough washing. After claying, it has removed all surface contaminants, including wax, and then you need to re-wax your car.

Detailing clay works by "pulling out" minute bits of debris that is embedded in your car's paint or glass. Unlikely you have any such debris "embedded" in the glass of your mask.

It may take the fine salt and hard water stains out though. Let us know how it works out in the water.

Most masks can be taken apart and cleaned. to remove imbedded salt crystals/sand that could cause leaks.

I usually take mine apart and clean them at least once a season or after a long dive trip.

I never used clay bar on my lenses, can't see it hurting though, as long as they are glass lenses, I usually just use "simple green" for most of my scuba related cleaning needs.

Hmmm, if Simple Green works, I wonder if Windex will get the incredibly stubborn hard water stains out of my old faithful mask I have lying around...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Make sure to wash thoroughly after using windex, because any residual fumes could start to irritate the eyes. I've done the toothpast and it works well. Also, for autobody, you could try using polishing compound, that would work better than the clay.

There was a product I used to use on my car called glass wax, I think I bought it at Walmart. It would make the car windows look like new. You could try it on a mask but I would make sure the lens are glass. I would remove the lenses, clean them and then use simple green or some other degreaser to strip the residue. Remember petroleum products should not be used with dive gear as it attacks the rubber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom