Destination Suggestion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My nondiving wife and I are thinking of going to the Carribean for a few days to celebrate our 50th. We are looking for a laid back trip.

-Some convenient and easy diving for me to do. I like reefs and shallow wrecks to watch critters
-No prop planes. She almost got taken out on one once and does not do props. As she puts it, she wants real planes.
-Preferably not a boat ride after we get off the plane.
-Hills are nice for scenery but she has some orthopedic issues so walking and sightseeing on foot should be pretty flat.
-Some nearby land stuff to see: gardens, historical stuff, nature, little shopping, maybe some wildlife
-Nice convenient beaches
-Low crime rate. Every place has some crime but some places tend to have more than others.
-Friendly people.
-Nice accomodations. Does not have to be 5 star but appreciate nice surrounds and service and food.
-Not an island we have been to before so that rules out: Caymans, Cozumel, St. Thomas, St. Johns, Antiqua, Bahammas (Nassau), Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Bermuda.

Any suggestions? One thought I had was St. Croix seemed a possible fit at first glance. Any experience with that?

OK, this might not even be worth typing but from the research I've done recently, Roatan sounds like it might fit your requirements. That being said, I haven't been yet (we're leaving Sat for a week there) so all I can offer is what I've read from several sources. Hope this helps!

Your original thought of St. Croix is pretty good. There is some crime but like much of the Caribbean it's not bad in the touristy spots. There is good dining to be had and beautiful beaches. Plenty of dive options (although only a few wrecks) but 'the pier' by day or night is a great dive as well as some nice reef dives and walls if you want that. You would want a car to explore with. If you would like to know more, PM me and I will give more details. I just got back from 10 days last week.

Attachments

• P3150052.JPG
    P3150052.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 74
  • Seahorse.png
    Seahorse.png
    419.3 KB · Views: 61
Roatan's got sand flies so its a no-go for a non-diver. On Bonaire a non-diver would be too bored, so I vote for Curacao. Lots of direct flights (American flies daily from Miami), plenty of critters underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom