Destin Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiver38

Reaction score
I'm travelling to Destin at the end of July and should have at least two full days to go diving. Any recomendations for this land-locked Texan on the best way to make use of my dive time there? I've been diving for a year and a half now, am a strong swimmer, but (gulp) have never dove salt water. Am looking forward to greater than four foot vis. :wink:

Thanks all.

As far as charters go, I always recommend ScubaTech, a quick search in this forum or on your favorite search engine will get you a phone #. I've used them 4-5x's in the last 12 months and have never been disappointed. Great crew, great owners, great boat.

If you want to dive off the beach, check the tides at www.saltwatertides.com and hit the Destin Jeddies. There are a few threads on the first page of the "FL Conch Divers" forum that will enlighten you on what to expect! :)

If you want to dive off the beach, check the tides at www.saltwatertides.com and hit the Destin Jeddies. There are a few threads on the first page of the "FL Conch Divers" forum that will enlighten you on what to expect! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks much for the advice. At what tide cycle is it best to hit the jetties? Any dive facilities on site?

texdiver38:
... At what tide cycle is it best to hit the jetties? Any dive facilities on site?
It's best to dive from the time of high tide until about two hours past.

Only an outdoor shower head for facilities - no rest room.

Be ready for a good walk to the entry point - head straight to the water and walk on the hard pan (between the soft dry sand and loose wet sand) to get close to the finger jetty.

Check out my gallery, I have a few pictures of the site there.

I will second the recommendation of SCUBA Tech. I took a class from them and it was very well done. It included a dive off of the Sea Cobra, their 45 foot dive boat.

Work: 850 837 2282
Work: 850 837 1933
Other: http://www.scubatechnwfl.com/
E-Mail: scubatech@scubatechnwfl.com

Address:
301 U.S. Hwy 98 East
P.O. Box 5557
Destin , Florida 32540-5557

They are right on the main strip (Highway 98) about 1 mile or so from the West end of Destin and marked by a big dive flag.

As far as tide charts and tables, I go to http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi
It provides tables or charts for any location in the US or Japan.

SuPrBuGmAn:
As far as charters go, I always recommend ScubaTech, a quick search in this forum or on your favorite search engine will get you a phone #. I've used them 4-5x's in the last 12 months and have never been disappointed. Great crew, great owners, great boat.

If you want to dive off the beach, check the tides at www.saltwatertides.com and hit the Destin Jeddies. There are a few threads on the first page of the "FL Conch Divers" forum that will enlighten you on what to expect! :)

Ok - I'm hooked up with scubatech for monday and tue mornings. Looking for a buddy for the tue dive with scubatech, and if anyone wants to dive at the jetties on wed-fri.

I'm thinking of doing a night dive later in that week with scubatech as well.

Sounds like temps warrant about a 3 mil wetsuit?

Thanks to all for the suggestions - let me know if you'd like to dive at those times.

Jim

Wear a suit that makes you comfortable. The water temps even at depth are in the 80s and I get along just fine with a 0.5mm skin or just a bathing suit if I want to risk a jelly sting.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Wear a suit that makes you comfortable. The water temps even at depth are in the 80s and I get along just fine with a 0.5mm skin or just a bathing suit if I want to risk a jelly sting.

Ok. Scubatech was telling me low 70's at depth. I'd prefer just a skin if I can get away with it.

I guess it depends at what depth. At the jeddies, your at the low 80ºs at around 50'. I dove 102' weekend before last in my skin and didn't feel cold except for about the first minute at depth. I may have a bit more natural insulation though :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom