Desktop on Mac won't connect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I downloaded the Shearwater Desktop this evening to see how it works and update the Petrel 2 firmware. I'm using a mid-2012 vintage MacBook Pro running OS/X 10.8.3, so I downloaded Desktop 2.3.8. Then I downloaded the latest Petrel update file. No problem going through the menu on the Petrel to get the "Wait PC countdown", selected the update file and hit start, but my Mac never connects with the Petrel. I checked the Bluetooth preferences on the Mac and it sees the Petrel, and says it's paired but doesn't show as connected. Anything else to try? I deleted the entry for the Petrel in the Bluetooth preferences, and it came back again, which shows the Petrel is visible and pairing. Anything else I should try before giving up on future updates? I also couldn't download the log :(

Petrel set to recreational nitrox mode, if that makes a difference

Also, what does the Update Start Up Text menu item do on the Desktop application? I couldn't find any description in the manual, and no menu entry on the Petrel

I know I had to manually pair the Petrel from the Bluetooth control panel on my Mac when the current version of Shearwater Desktop came out, but I don't remember the exact details. What do you see when you turn on the Shearwater and then click on its entry in the Bluetooth control panel? Since manually pairing it, I haven't had any issues with subsequent updates.

One thing I noticed on the Mac is it will create separate instances of the Bluetooth connection and can get confused especially if you have a lot of Petrels. Just delete all the Petrel Bluetooth instances and re-pair it, works everytime.

Make sure the battery in the Petrel is at full strength - especially if using a 1.5 V AA battery.

Hello Geoff,

The best thing to do is drop us a line describing your problem to info@shearwater.com. We will put you in touch with tech support and Mark will help you out with this.

They will likely respond, but I'd suggest to look here in the meantime:

https://www.shearwater.com/frequently-asked-questions/

look under the "desktop" section.

also, look here:

https://www.shearwater.com/community/

I read the FAQs on the Shearwater web site before posting my question. Also searched here on this Scubaboard forum. In the Community section on the Shearwater web site, the closest thing I could find was Error 175, which sounds like my problem but the Desktop software never said Error 175

I know I had to manually pair the Petrel from the Bluetooth control panel on my Mac when the current version of Shearwater Desktop came out, but I don't remember the exact details. What do you see when you turn on the Shearwater and then click on its entry in the Bluetooth control panel? Since manually pairing it, I haven't had any issues with subsequent updates.

I deleted the Petrel instance in the Bluetooth control panel and it reappeared when I tried the update. In the Bluetooth device details it said paired but not connected. The Desktop application doesn't seem to be able to establish a connection with my Petrel, and they are sitting right next to each other on the desk

One thing I noticed on the Mac is it will create separate instances of the Bluetooth connection and can get confused especially if you have a lot of Petrels. Just delete all the Petrel Bluetooth instances and re-pair it, works everytime.

Have lots of Petrels? Don't I wish I had that problem! I tried that (delete Petrel Bluetooth entries) but no difference

Make sure the battery in the Petrel is at full strength - especially if using a 1.5 V AA battery.

It's brand new (Petrel 2) with only a couple of dives on it. The battery indicator shows full strength. It's a Petrel 2 which from some of the comments doesn't seem as susceptible to low battery quirks during Bluetooth connection as the older ones

Hello Geoff,

The best thing to do is drop us a line describing your problem to info@shearwater.com. We will put you in touch with tech support and Mark will help you out with this.

Thanks Lynn! I'll do that with details and include a link to this post, which will either help or further confuse the issue :wink:

By the way everyone, how does the Update Start Up Text function work? Like a regular firmware update on the Petrel? Or does it update the firmware file on the Mac (or PC), which I then upload to my Petrel? I couldn't find anything in the documentation, and since I still haven't been able to get my Mac talking to my Petrel, I can't try for myself. Is the convention to put your name and email address? Name and phone #? Or some better ideas?

---------- Post added January 14th, 2015 at 01:49 PM ----------

I got a quick response from Mark at Shearwater and tried it. I got a number of 175 errors and even an error 350 (Send to dive computer failed) once, but eventually was able to connect my Petrel to my Mac, download my logs to date and upload the latest firmware. I was even able to personalize my Petrel with my name and email on the startup screen; treat it just like a firmware update on the Petrel

Steps from Mark for reference if anyone has problems in the future:
1) Open Bluetooth Preferences on your Mac. You should see a list of all the Bluetooth devices attached to your computer.
2) Look for your Petrel in that list. If it's there, please remove it by pressing the small minus (-) sign at the bottom.
3) Put your Petrel into dive log upload mode.
4) Press the plus (+) button in the Bluetooth panel and follow the prompts to add the Petrel. If you are asked for a pairing code it is 0000.

After that, please try downloading your dive logs.
Great support for a great product!

Back
Top Bottom