Desktop Cloud and Android Cloud don't read the same "cloud"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have reluctantly put the Desktop Cloud on my laptop and the Android Cloud on my SmartPhone. On my computer cloud I put descriptions and notes on most of my dives after I loaded the dives from the Shearwater Desktop. I'm confused as to why when I sync my Android it has no descriptions or notes AND the dive numbers are different. I knew this was not a good thing. Where is the "cloud"? It seems to be a black cloud for me. I'm looking for the silver lining. :) Any suggestions?

Thanks -

I assume you're signed into your shearwater cloud account on the mobile app and same on the desktop? After a dive this is what I do:
  1. Sync my Perdix to the shearwater app on my phone
  2. Input any dive notes while at the dive site
  3. Sync that to the cloud (at dive site or once I have cell signal)
  4. At home, I open up the shearwater cloud desktop application on my computer
  5. Sync the account to download all data from the dives and anything you entered on your phone
  6. Once you have the data, and you want to add more - I add it on the desktop application
  7. Sync those changes to the cloud
  8. Then download on the phone if you want to see the changes reflected on your mobile app.
It is a long process. Maybe some of those steps are unnecessary but that seems to be what works for me.

Thanks. How do I download dives without syncing? If I sync my desktop it picks up the dives from my phone, which are incomplete compared to my desktop where I have just added a bunch more notes that get wiped out (and picks up the wrong dive numbers).

What I want to do is put the data on my desktop onto my phone. I can't seem to be able to do that. I'm almost afraid to try because the last time I tried to do what you suggest I had to reenter my notes. A real pain!

I really appreciate your input and barring any input from @Shearwater Cloud or @Shearwater I may try it again the way you suggest.

Maybe someone from @Shearwater Cloud or @Shearwater can enlighten me on how do do this.

I'm really not a cloud user so this is somewhat foreign to me.

Cheers -

Hi, M².
What Ean86 says is correct. But you have to keep in mind that he is referring to two different syncing processes:

1. Bluetooth connection that directly involves the Perdix and but no online server (Cloud)
2. Internet connection that does not involve the Perdix directly but connects to an online server (Cloud)

We keep these two connection processes separate in order to respect privacy concerns of users that do not wish to have their personal dive information transmitted over the internet nor stored in an online server. For the sake of simplificity lets call connection #1 Bluetooth download or just download and we can call connection #2 Internet Sync or just sync.

The first step is to do a Bluetooth download. Keep in mind that successful completion of this connection only puts dive information locally into the one device doing the downloading (ie mobile device, desktop or laptop). You can enter details about the dive into said device. Again those details will only be local to this one device if you do not do connection #2 and perform an internet sync. Some users prefer to keep it this way and do not want their information in cyberspace. If you then go and do another Bluetooth download into a second device, this 2nd device will not have any of the dive details you entered into the first one because you never did a #2 Internet Sync. The cloud was never engaged.

In order to engage the cloud and do an Internet sync, you have to create a Shearwater Cloud Account. After doing a Bluetooth download and manually adding your dive details you have to complete a #2 Internet sync. On mobile devices you have to go to the mask and regulator icon called "Profile", login to your account, and then tap on the blue cloud symbol with two circular arrows inside it.

After doing this successfully, you can go into any other device(s), complete a #2 Internet sync and the dive details you manually entered into your first device will now be available. If you want to add or correct further details on this second device, you will need to do another #2 Internet sync to have those new details up in the cloud and accessible to other devices.

I hope this helps.

@Shearwater Cloud - I downloaded my dives to Shearwater Cloud desktop (Imported from my Shearwater Desktop). Made changes to comments and notes and filled in a lot of missing data. I then "Sync"ed it. All of the data that was on my phone that I had "synced" some time back was uploaded to my Desktop Cloud wiping out all of my notes (hours of work) and replaced the dive numbers with the wrong numbers from my phone. I give up. I haven't found the silver lining yet. The goal is to get my dive info onto my phone. It ain't working. When I first got my computer, I started at Dive #1 - BIG MISTAKE. After 4 dives I set the dive number to match my logbook. I can't get rid of the 1, 2, 3, 4. And now my dives on my Desktop Cloud start with 1.

I am now deleting everything. It's tedious. I don't know how to erase "the cloud", as black as it may be. Does anyone know how to delete the cloud?

M² we are sorry to see you are encountering difficulties with this, send us an email to info@shearwater.com. We'll get one of our software engineers to troubleshoot this with you.

M² we are sorry to see you are encountering difficulties with this, send us an email to info@shearwater.com. We'll get one of our software engineers to troubleshoot this with you.
Thanks. I will. I leave Wednesday for 2 weeks in Cozumel. I'm taking my computer and phone so I'll try to do this on my trip.

Cheers -

Back
Top Bottom