Question Desiccant pack recommendations (for use in AOI/backscatter housing--but generic should work)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Trilobite

Trilobite

Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't find any recent threads on this topic, so here goes.

I get a little fogging in my AOI/backscatter housing for the Olympus EM-10 iv after 30 minutes or so of shooting as the camera heats up. I wanted to see if desiccant packs help with this. There is no obvious place or a lot of room to put desiccant packs in the housing other than the bottom in the back – and I would have to tape them down (unless they are self-adhesive), so they don't shift and jam the zoom gear. Any recommendations?

There seem to be a lot of different types and sizes of varying quality offered for sale online. Desiderata in order of importance include: effectiveness at absorbing moisture, some sort of indication that they are spent (i.e. have absorbed moisture to the limit), reusability (e.g. by baking), cost.

Jim

These flat pads are used in action camera housings. They don’t change colors, but they get clammy, for lack of a better word, when they are ready to be dried out. I don’t know the logistics of the AOI housing, but they are easily tucked in, compared to bead packets—here’s a link. Pads

Couldn't find any recent threads on this topic, so here goes.

I get a little fogging in my AOI/backscatter housing for the Olympus EM-10 iv after 30 minutes or so of shooting as the camera heats up. I wanted to see if desiccant packs help with this. There is no obvious place or a lot of room to put desiccant packs in the housing other than the bottom in the back – and I would have to tape them down (unless they are self-adhesive), so they don't shift and jam the zoom gear. Any recommendations?

I second the recommendation of the small pads. They fit easily into the housing for my Canon FGX7-II and they really do absorb moisture.

I've never bothered to recycle them.

There have been a couple of times when they've moved around in my housing, interfering with the controls or resting on the leak sensor and causing a (false) alarm. I've found that it helps to fold the pad into an "L" shape and wedge it into an unused corner of the housing, rather than keeping it flat.

There seem to be a lot of different types and sizes of varying quality offered for sale online. Desiderata in order of importance include: effectiveness at
I'm guessing that your use of Desiderata was due to some autocorrect. I wouldn't put dessicant that high on my list of truths to live by, but they are useful. :)
Desiderata - Words for Life by Max Ehrmann
absorbing moisture, some sort of indication that they are spent (i.e. have absorbed moisture to the limit), reusability (e.g. by baking), cost.

Jim

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw those but thought they might be only useful for GoPros. I'll probably give them a try unless others have different opinions.
I'm guessing that your use of Desiderata was due to some autocorrect. I wouldn't put dessicant that high on my list of truths to live by, but they are useful.
No; "desiderata" is just latin for "things desired". So I'm listing the attributes I desire in a dessicant. But good to know someone is reading poetry these days.

Back
Top Bottom