Derawan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUBLIN

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I need information about diving in Derawan-Sangalaki area. Derawan dive lodge or other (Season, winds, rain, manta season...)
Any returned experience there is warmly welcome.

Thanks

Jerome

GUBLIN:
Hello,

I need information about diving in Derawan-Sangalaki area. Derawan dive lodge or other (Season, winds, rain, manta season...)
Any returned experience there is warmly welcome.

Thanks

Jerome

Spent a week at Sangalaki Dive Lodge in June - Diving was outstanding with plenty of mantas and great macro. The island is beautiful with only one small lodge. Even though the area is divable year round, better to avoid the monsoon which I think runs from November til end of February.

Bon trip !

When you are there the general dive areas are:
Maratua
Kakaban
Sangalaki
Derawan

The operators are at:
Maratua - Nabucco, another is almost ready to open
Sangalaki - Sangalaki Dive Lodge
Derawan - Derawan Dive Lodge

Maratau - generally for big stuff, sharks, barracudas, eagle rays; there is macro but they do not seem to like to take people there.

Sangalaki - Manta Manta Manta Manta, Turtles, Turtles, Turtles...lots of macro and it is everywhere, DO NOT miss the mating Mandarins.

Kakaban - Jellyfish, Pgymy Seahorse (these guys can also be found at the other sites) and Barracudas

Derawan - Turtles and probably MACRO galore just at the jetty. No wasted time on the commute, just dive dive dive dive

davidlkh:
When you are there the general dive areas are:
Maratua
Kakaban
Sangalaki
Derawan

The operators are at:
Maratua - Nabucco, another is almost ready to open
Sangalaki - Sangalaki Dive Lodge
Derawan - Derawan Dive Lodge

Maratau - generally for big stuff, sharks, barracudas, eagle rays; there is macro but they do not seem to like to take people there.

Sangalaki - Manta Manta Manta Manta, Turtles, Turtles, Turtles...lots of macro and it is everywhere, DO NOT miss the mating Mandarins.

Kakaban - Jellyfish, Pgymy Seahorse (these guys can also be found at the other sites) and Barracudas

Derawan - Turtles and probably MACRO galore just at the jetty. No wasted time on the commute, just dive dive dive dive

How did you do Sangalaki - did you combine it with the Sipadan/Kaplai/MAbul trip or have you done it seperately?

I stayed at Nabucco earlier this year. Of the 3 places, it probably has the best looking accomodation and the island is beautiful. Maratua/Kakaban/Sangalaki are not too far from each other so you won't have too much time commuting between the three islands where as Derawan is quite a bit further away, closer to Sangalaki but quite a boat ride out to Kakaban and Maratua. One complain for Nabucco was that when I was there, there were only 2 dive guides for approximately 20 odd divers. Our group had 9 divers with one dive guide who were relatively new to the area so beside taking us to the dive sites, he was not really able to help finding things very much. May be that situation has changed since then.
If I go back to Sangalaki again, I would consider either Sangalaki Dive Lodge or Derawan. One benefit of Derawan is the house reef which you won't have acess to unless you stay at Derawan.

boxer:
How did you do Sangalaki - did you combine it with the Sipadan/Kaplai/MAbul trip or have you done it seperately?

I show you itinerary that combine with east kalimantan/ mabul+sipadan trip.
I organized a divetrip this sept./oct. 5 divers joined me. in sangalaki, there are so many manta beyond all expectations. and near Maratau . we saw a large group of false killer whales. and so many micro there.

Sept. 30. Kota Kinabalu flight to tawau
tawau ferry to tarakan
tarakan speed boat to derawan
Oct.1 boat to Sangalaki
Oct.2 boat to Kakaban
Oct.3 boat to Maratua
Oct.4 return to tarakan , tarakan overnight
Oct.5 tarakan ferry to tawau, van to sempona, speed boat to mabul
Oct.6 boat dive to sipadan/mabul
Oct.7 overnight tawau
Oct.8 flight back from tawau-kk-shanghai

total 19-20 dive , but we have to spent too much time on the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom