Derawan Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annagy

New
Reaction score
Has anyone been to the Derawan Dive Resort recently? I am in my 40s, will be going on my own, and went to the Tasik Ria resort last year, and loved it and the diving. Don't want to spoil fantastic memories by going back. So, was thinking about Derawan Dive Resort. What's the diving like? What's the Resort like? Are the staff and food good? Any advice gratefully received!
:D

I was there 2 years ago on April of 2007. I like diving in Derawan very much as it was very relaxing and there are some special stuff in each of the islands nearby, and we can have unlimited shore dives. It is quite a hassle to get to Derawan here from Hong Kong. From Hong Kong, we took sinapore air/silkair to Singapore > Balikpapan then overnight and fly again to Berau to have another 2 hours in speedboat in order to reach Derawan.
Derawan Island Resort is very lay back. Staff was really helpful and friendly. Meals were good, I still missed fried banana very much. :p Rooms are nice although a little bit worn out. All of them are air conditioned but please be warned that temp. of "warm shower" is based on Solar energy. They provided unlimited shore dive which was really good. Derawan is primarily for small stuff but you can also find many turtles and also school of snappers and jack fish under the jetty. It was also interesting to watch jawfish hatching from its mouth in dawn. It was also nice to see a big turtle laying eggs during midnight.
For daily boat dive they either provide 3 boat dives in Derawan, or 2 boat dives to Islands nearby. (Maratua, Kakaban, Sangalaki) + 1 boat dive in Derawan. For my experience in diving in those Islands you can refer to this thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/282588-palau-weh-n-sumatra-maratua-e-kalimantan.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom