Depth-rated Container

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

standrod

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a depth-rated container (rated to at least 100'...deeper is preferred)?

The inside dimensions should be at least 3"x2"x7" or larger.

I would like a clear plastic material if possible but not necessary.

I was looking at the Otter Boxes which say they're rated to 100' and also the OMC Depth Rated Canister but not sure what the inside dimensions are.

I was also thinking of using PVC pipe but not sure how to seal the opening.

Something similar to my Dive Rite light canister would work also.

Thanks for your help.
Marcus

When I need to take valuables underwater with me, depending on the amount of stuff, I put them inside a light with the guts removed.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing until I could figure something out. My Dive Rite canister light would work but I'd rather have a dedicated canister eventually.

Thanks,
Marcus

Depending on your size requirements you can make a killer container out of pvc. Check out the threads on making lights and camera enclosures. You will get lots of great ideas on how to seal the container.

Don't use the Otter boxes if going near 100'. I just toasted a GSM phone, VHF radio, and Solo lighter despite being inside a Ziplock freezer baggie as well. The Otter boxes leaked. :-( I had two model 2000 and one model 3000 with me carrying safety gear (flares, dye, mirror, etc).

I'm going to have custom Delrin cases machined and I'll add the latches and and O-rings. I plan to go to 300' in the future so I need something that will cut the mustard.

I have recently seen some Navy dry bags in various sizes that are good for 200'. They were reasonably priced too. I don't have the link handy but you could Google for them. I'll follow up with the link if I can.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom