Depth Limit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluejaykaren

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can I store a camera that is rated to 33' in something like an otter box if I went below 33' feet to protect it from the added pressure until I returned to shallower depths?

If the box is rated to go to the depth you want to go to it should work fine.

Can I store a camera that is rated to 33' in something like an otter box if I went below 33' feet to protect it from the added pressure until I returned to shallower depths?
Yes, that would make it a housing :). But the quality and depth rating( how deep it maintains water tight status) would be critical.

How much deeper do you plan on going. The depth ratings on most housings relate to operating depths and will be ok at further depths but the controls may not operate. I have taken a Sony OEM housing rated to 40m to 55m on a number of occasions and had full operational control and no issues. A few of my fellow divers have done the same. Likewise the Recsea housing for my Canon S100 is rated to 100m without flooding but the button operation is only tested for 60m.

How much deeper do you plan on going. The depth ratings on most housings relate to operating depths and will be ok at further depths but the controls may not operate. I have taken a Sony OEM housing rated to 40m to 55m on a number of occasions and had full operational control and no issues. A few of my fellow divers have done the same. Likewise the Recsea housing for my Canon S100 is rated to 100m without flooding but the button operation is only tested for 60m.

I would be going to 40 to 60 feet for a camera rated for 33' to 40'. I want to get the new olympus tg-1 and it is rated to 40' but the case cost more than the camera. I flooded my last canon so I thought if I bought a waterproof camera and did get a case for it at least if the seal gave way the camera would not be ruined. Then I thought of the otter box. I don't need to take pics at that depth but the camera needed to be protected from the increased pressure. I have heard before that if you go some deeper then the pressure activates the buttons more so than it leaking. If I turned it off it wouldn't matter on that account. I may buy a cheap camera off ebay and try it before I buy an expensive one. I became more curious than anything. I don't know if I would bother with it except I like shore diving at Grand Cayman and it would be nice at sunset house and turtle reef.

No. An Otter Box is not depth rated. If the box were opened underwater to place the camera in before proceeding to a depth deeper than the camera was rated for then the enclosure would fill with water. Since the Otter Box is not depth rated it would compress transferring the pressure directly to the camera housing which would see the pressure just as if it were not in the box.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom