Depth dependent color correction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atdotde

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to look into using depth information to improve automated color correction (inspired by some new features of some camera products on the market). Problem is, I don't do underwater photography myself. Therefore I am looking for example pictures with depth information. They should be
  • no color correction applied to yet (manual or automatic)
  • together with a Subsurface file (use the export function, possibly with annonymization) where they are linked to profile (via the import media function)
As I am only interested in color they don't have to have high resolution (could well be heavily jpeg compressed) or have any artistic value. By sending those you agree to potentially include them as test files in Subsurface where they would be distributed under a GPL2 or CC0 license.

Mail those to robert@thetheoreticaldiver.org

Thanks a lot!

Hi. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but won't turbidity, daylight conditions and general visibility also have a significant effect on pre-colour corrected footage?

Of course, but I would like to explore how far one can get. Like manually correct a few images in a dive and then do the others automagically.

Paralenz DCC came on for some reason. Ruined the footage.

Eventually noticed it saying something about DCC and turned it off.
  • The first photo is with the wide white video beam illuminating it, all magenta;
  • second one with the tight torch beam showing the "real" colour on the edges;
  • third one without illumination but with DCC on
  • fourth one is the engine with the damn DCC off and properly illuminated.
These three screenshots were taken from the same dive with DCC turned on. Last one is the conning tower of the German coastal minelaying sub. Photos are crap; it's more to remember the dive than to win prizes.

Just imagine if a mermaid popped by...

DCC example1.jpg

DCC example2.jpg

DCC example3.jpg

DCC example4.jpg

Hi. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but won't turbidity, daylight conditions and general visibility also have a significant effect on pre-colour corrected footage?
Agree 100% with this.

Time of day will be a big influencer, too. So even if you had perfectly clear water the colour at depth would vary throughout the day, especially close to dawn and dusk.

The other problem you have is not being able to add back colour that isn't there.

The easy part is correlating the depth - I do that will all my photographs.

I can give you some RAW files if you want them (from my Sony a7rIV). I don't mix photos and Subsurface, myself. But, you would be welcome to access my Subsurface dive log and correlate the photos to moments in my dive profiles using the photo meta data and the data in the log.

I want to look into using depth information to improve automated color correction (inspired by some new features of some camera products on the market). Problem is, I don't do underwater photography myself. Therefore I am looking for example pictures with depth information. They should be
  • no color correction applied to yet (manual or automatic)
  • together with a Subsurface file (use the export function, possibly with annonymization) where they are linked to profile (via the import media function)
As I am only interested in color they don't have to have high resolution (could well be heavily jpeg compressed) or have any artistic value. By sending those you agree to potentially include them as test files in Subsurface where they would be distributed under a GPL2 or CC0 license.

Mail those to robert@thetheoreticaldiver.org

Thanks a lot!
Take a look at https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...ent-for-underwater-imagery-photography.587749.
Depth is only one variable, and sometimes the least important variable.
I fear you are going to an awful lot of effort for very little gain.

Back
Top Bottom