Depth compensating buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently was given an Apollo depth compensating buckle and was wondering if I could use it on a harness or is it only to be used for a weight belt?

I have an old Tekna compensating buckle that I have used on a harness before and had no issues with it. If you are using a BP/W with a weight belt instead of attached weight pockets I would rather have that buckle on my weight belt andd use a standard buckle on the harness. The compensating buckles are nice for weight belts when using heavier wetsuits.

I recently was given an Apollo depth compensating buckle and was wondering if I could use it on a harness or is it only to be used for a weight belt?

The Apollo depth compensating buckle is designed for use with a weight belt or with a BCD cumberbund. It was not designed for use with a harness.

The Apollo depth compensating buckle is designed for use with a weight belt or with a BCD cumberbund. It was not designed for use with a harness.

Thank you for your reply, can you please tell me why its ok with a weight belt or BC cumberbund but not a harness? I cant think why it would be any different. Thanks

The depth compensating buckle could work with a harness. It was not, however, designed for that application. I would think it would depend on the load-perhaps with large double tanks the buckle would not function properly. The buckles are sold seperately and we do know that some divers have used them with various harness configurations.

How do you attach it? It doesn't seem to attach like an ordinary harness buckle (which has three slots, and you run the webbing front-to-back, back-to-front, around-the-front, and then back through back-to-front) because it only has two slots. I've tried attaching it by running through the two slots (back-to-front and then front-to-back) and it just doesn't look like its as sturdy as it should be.

The depth compensating buckle has a set of teeth that will hold most weight belt webbing without slippage by simply threading up and back and allowing for an inch or two of overhang. The teeth hold the webbing in place. This may not work for thinner harness webbing since the buckle was designed for use as a weight belt buckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom