Departure covid-19 testing in Hurghada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P-Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in Hurghada in May on a liveaboard. I fly out the day it docks and my next destination in Southern Africa requires a negative covid-19 PCR test.

If I can't get tested that day with an instant/rapid PCR test (in Hurghada) the next flight is five days later. Can I get a rapid test in Hurghada?

The other option is to fly to Cairo. Can I get an instant PCR test there?

Thank you for any help!

You always have such tricky itenaries, haven't you? :D
The El Ghouna Hospital in Hurghada is the one for the PCR Tests, they may also have rapid ones. There are also options for PCR tests in Cairo (have to dig that info out), but the rapid ones may be rare as well.
Your issue in HRG is timing: you have to have some buffer for coming back to Harbour, you have to have 1-2 hours for checkin in advance of your flight, don't know if there is really much left for a ride to El Ghouna and back.
You can eventually contact them directly and ask about the procedure and turn around times: info@elgounahospital.com.eg
Are you sure a rapid test will do it? IATA says PCR Test to enter SA, which usually means RT-PCR.
They also mention a health questionaire to be completed not more than 2 days before flying: Novel COVID-19 Screening and Surveillance. So, that's another point on your to do list after docking.
All this, assuming the procedure will be the same in May as they are now....:cool:

You always have such tricky itenaries, haven't you? :D
The El Ghouna Hospital in Hurghada is the one for the PCR Tests, they may also have rapid ones. There are also options for PCR tests in Cairo (have to dig that info out), but the rapid ones may be rare as well.
Your issue in HRG is timing: you have to have some buffer for coming back to Harbour, you have to have 1-2 hours for checkin in advance of your flight, don't know if there is really much left for a ride to El Ghouna and back.
You can eventually contact them directly and ask about the procedure and turn around times: info@elgounahospital.com.eg
Are you sure a rapid test will do it? IATA says PCR Test to enter SA, which usually means RT-PCR.
They also mention a health questionaire to be completed not more than 2 days before flying: Novel COVID-19 Screening and Surveillance. So, that's another point on your to do list after docking.
All this, assuming the procedure will be the same in May as they are now....:cool:

I don't know why I do this to myself. I never make it easy, do I? :)

I think I have decided to fly to Zimbabwe instead of SA so that opens up my flights some. I'll come back to Hurghada, get my test, stay another day (or two) and fly out on the 10th.

In a way, it seems silly to do all this planning in advance of May, knowing that all the requirements will be different, but I need to set the dates now since I'll be meeting up with other people in Southern Africa who are arranging their flights, too. We all need to choose dates in order to organize our trip. :D

As always, Surface Interval, thank you for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom