Dentured divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moonlighting

Contributor
Reaction score
Excuse the topic but my friend thinks it's an essential matter to know:

Is wearing upper dentures, and ill-fitting too, hindrance to diving?

Only if you swallow them. Most problem are in teeth with a nervous system
attached. :D

m3830431:
Only if you swallow them. Most problem are in teeth with a nervous system
attached. :D

Swallowing or inhaling them could indeed be a serious problem. I recently needed to be fitted with a bridge. I had my dentist make a permanently attached bridge rather than one that comes out. I did not want to accidentally have the thing stuck in my trachea on a dive. Also, they need to fit well enough that the diver can comfortably hold the regulator in place. Your friend should see his dentist and talk the problems over with him. He may be able to dive with the prosthesis removed. To do this, though, he may need a special mouthpiece. There are some mouthpieces that are made to go over the mouth. They are made to accomodate a microphone for underwater communication systems. Of course, there are full face masks as well.

As stated before, if they don't fit properly, your friend may have a hard time securing the regulator mouthpiece. I too, have permanent bridges, so that I can ensure a proper grip on my mouthpiece. My advice would be to find a dentist who dives and get his/her recommendation.

It depends.

Some dentures are very loose, others form a good suction and don't come out.

I would think a good fitting denture with one of the "orthodontic" mouthpieces should be fine. Most dentures tend to tip if pressure is applied to the front teeth without something balancing the back teeth. The ortho mouthpieces are longer and would apply force to the rear of the denture. This should help stabilze the denture.

Hope this helps

BT, D.D.S.

scubadds:
It depends.

Some dentures are very loose, others form a good suction and don't come out.

I would think a good fitting denture with one of the "orthodontic" mouthpieces should be fine. Most dentures tend to tip if pressure is applied to the front teeth without something balancing the back teeth. The ortho mouthpieces are longer and would apply force to the rear of the denture. This should help stabilze the denture.

Hope this helps

BT, D.D.S.
Always good to have a professional opinion - thanks! :thumb:

SB's on staff Dentist takes the conservative approach: don't dive with dentures. Good, safe advice.

My uppers fit very well, so I make sure to have plenty of fresh Polident in place - been diving with them for over 4 years now. I also use a butterfly mouthpiece for less chance of coming out, and try to tell others divers: "If you need air, grab my Octo, as the one in my mouth won't come out!! Grab my octo without even signaling and I'll understand."

Since your friend's is ill-fitting, it'd surely be safer to dive without it, and the butterfly mouthpiece will help even more there. :14:

Thanks all... that was quick and truly helpful. There are two items of concern here: 1). this butterfly thing, is this to be bought seperate from any gear and is it readily available? How much? 2). The full face mask... is it readily rentable? or how much will it cost to purchase one? is it advisable to be used or would it cause discomfort versus the non-full face?

Thanks, many thanks. such great board!

moonlighting:
Thanks all... that was quick and truly helpful. There are two items of concern here: 1). this butterfly thing, is this to be bought seperate from any gear and is it readily available? How much? 2). The full face mask... is it readily rentable? or how much will it cost to purchase one? is it advisable to be used or would it cause discomfort versus the non-full face?

Thanks, many thanks. such great board!
I'm sorry - I don't think I got anything right the first time today.

It's a Manta Bite mouthpiece. If you cannot find it locally, you can inquire here with a 30 day money back guarantee.

The whole thing goes inside your mouth, so it's firmly in once you accomplish that. See pics - click each to enlarge view...

I got the yellow one that glows in the dark. :lightbulb

Back
Top Bottom