Dental implants ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blargh

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings... here comes an odd one :)

My wife did a 'discover scuba' dive recently. She said that during the dive, she felt rather sharp pain from her dental implants. After the dive, she also had noticed some seepage from her jaw.

When asked about it, her dentist gave her one of those totally blank looks .... so ...

I hope someone might have an idea about why that happened, and what can be done to avoid it.. please ?

TIA.

Question,
What type of inplants? It sounds like your wife may have some air gaps in her implants which trap compressed air and can cause problems surfacing.Maybe she should get some dental xrays to see if she has gaps.If your dentist isn't knowledgable dive wise then find a dentist who does and can appreciate the problems diving can cause to teeth work.
Hope this helps.Where are you? Maybe some one on the boards is near you and can recommend someone.
Cheers Ears,
The Gasman

Scubadoc (Ernest Campbell MD) found your inquiry. I am Diver's Alert Network referral dentist and a consultant for Scubadoc .

Implants have high success rates but not 100%. If you have an implant which has lost some bone over time, you can get a "peri-implantitis. This is an infection and should be looked at. Another possibility is that the prosthetic retaining screw has losened very slightly. This allows leakage under the tooth, under the gum. Again this can be an infection. If your implant is held in by an accessible screw, it can be tightened. Pus or drainage is not normal.

In rare cases, the implant can fail and the entire prosthesis needs to be removed. If only some of the parts are damaged, occasionally they can be changed and the original prosthetics can be used again.

A worst case scenerio is a fractured prosthetic screw or even worse, a fractured implant. It can happen.

Scubadoc can be reached at scubadoc@scuba-doc.com he has an entire web page on all sorts of diving problems. He might have some more info on implants and diving.

If an implant is properly healed, there is no reason to avoid diving. After healing there are no air spaces within the bone that should cause pain. THERE ARE AIR SPACES WITHING THE BODY OF THE IMPLANT WHERE THE PROSTHETIC SCREWS GO--They may no contact with the healed exterior of the bone but if the prosthetic (tooth) portion becomes even a little lose, food debris, bacteria and gases can accumulate here. This area is not in contact with bone but does communicate with the gums.

See your dentist or oral surgeon as soon as possible

Regards,

Laurence Stein DDS

Thank you very much for answering my question!!!

Now, if I allow myself an "unscientific" WAG here, based on the following points:

- the implants are relatively recent (one year or so)
- they "took" very well (or so she was told)
- the dentist did NOT find any indication of inflamation on the X-ray(s)

.. it would seem to be reasonable to *assume* that the problems were most likely caused by .. hmm .. "overzealous mandible closure" (?) :), this being her first underwater experience, etc....

Having said that, if Gasman (or anyone else) knows, or knows how to find a "dive-wise" dental expert for a second (third?) opinion, she certainly would go for a check.

We live about 30 minutes (by train) north of London, so please let me know if you have anyone based in the Greater London/Herts/Beds/etc area.

Thanks.

I do not have a dental implant, but I do have a bridge. I can tell you that any time I expose the bridge to very cold water, it contracts and can give me some pain. Or when I have dutifully used a dental water-pic with cold water or Super-Floss, the area becomes sensative to temperature.

Any chance that the cold water is what is giving your wife pain?

Also, if she has flossed the area and it is sensetive and then expose to cold (water or compressed air) she may be feeling discomfort. -Starfish

To Blargh, Gasman and Starfish,

A properly integrated (healed) implant will have no air spaces in the bone. There are places within the implant body which can have air spaces but they are not in contact with bone. These spaces are the threaded areas used for the screw that secures the outer prosthesis to the underlying implant. If the screw becomes even slightly loose, food, germs, and other nasty things will accumulate there. Drainage is possible from such a space because it is usually just under the edge of the gum and all this crud can cause gingival inflammation and drainage.

You didn't mention if the implant was upper or lower. An upper implant can impinge on the maxillary sinus. In rare cases, sinus infections can drain through the interface between the bone and the implant. Usually, this will be picked up by the surgeon and proper advise for the future of the implant will be given. If the implant was in the mandible (lower jaw) there is no source of an air space associated with a properly healed implant.

Bone healing takes up to a year to mature.

You also didn't mention if a bone graft was done to augment the bone surrounding the implant. The graft material, especially if it is synthetic may sometimes work it way to the surface and create drainage. This should be checked by the surgeon.

The bite on an implant tooth should be a single point contact in maximum bite and every effort should be made to keep the bite as lite as possible. An implant is directly connected to the bone and not capable of moving. Real teeth can move slightly to absorb the stresses of chewing. If the implant bite is slightly off, there could be pain.

To Starfish, if your bridge is cold sensitive and floss sensitive, don't assume that the bridge shrinks and causes the pain. If it did, the porcelain would break off. You should be concerned about the possiblity of marginal leakage and recurrent decay, a nerve going bad under one or more of the supporting teeth or a loose bridge. Sensitivity immediately after placing a fixed bridge may be normal but it should improve. If it continues, there could be an undetected problem. Your dentist should check to see if the bridge is loose, decay exists under one of the supports (many people believe that a tooth with a cap or a bridge is protected from decay--NOT TRUE!), at the very least, try to identify the offending tooth and keep an eye on it.

One last tidbit. Some dentists use nonprescious metals for crowns. They contain nickel. Many women (15%-25%) are allergic to the metal. Men have less allergy because they tend to wear less jewelry. If you cannot wear stainless steel pierced earing studs, or you must wear earings made of gold studs, you could be allergic to nickel. If used in a crown on top of a tooth or an implant, the gum can get really red, look infected. Sometimes the gum is almost reddish blue it is so inflammed.

I don't know what is wrong with the implant but drainage is not a good sign and there is no place to trap air that would cause barotraumatic pain in a properly healed one. Crud in the screw space could cause drainage and gum pain but it would persist after the dive and it might be there before the dive. There are a lot of things that have to be ruled out--including the bite but the drainage comment really sticks out.

Finding a dentist who understands diving might not be a real necessity. Finding the root of the implant problem is.

Regards,

Laurence Stein, DDS
Steindiver@aol.com

Thank you for the info and the concern.
I have been to my DDS a couple of times and he keeps an eye on it for me (my bridge) and always reminds me to floss and brush and everything to keep my bridge clean. Seems I get a bit too viscious with my cleaning and get the gum inflammed. So when I do that, the gum is sensitive to cold and the like. I have never had a problem with a dive as far as the bridge is concerned.
I do know people who have sensitive teeth who have noticed the sensetivity when exposed to cold compressed air.
Thanks again for the infor! -Starfish

Here is a dentist in the UK who is diving oriented:

The name is:
Peter Tatton
103 Charmouth Road
St Albans
Herts.
Tel: 01727 832895.

Thanks to Dr. Nick McIver in the UK.

... and sorry for the delay in replying - i was offline for a while.

We will try to contact Mr. Tatton as soon as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom