Den Laman Pre-Trip Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwtr1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wishing You All A Happy New Year!!

Headed to Den Laman in a few weeks and have some questions:
1. Is the safe large enough for laptop, phones, camera, etc.? Where to store dive camera/housing while out?
2. Is there a laundry on site (just in case).
3. How is gear locker accessed? 24 hours? Secure? Can you bring gear to your room/balcony to dry out?
4. Are nitrox tanks available all day or do you need to get tanks for night dives before closing?
5. I've been to Bonaire before, but any special tips pertaining to Den Laman specifically to make our stay better?

Thanks!

Gerry

1. Safe was big enough for MacBook, 3 phones, wallets and GoPro - cant comment on dive camera housing, the cameras the folks I dove with would not have.
2. I never saw one
3. its open during the day, then locked at night (maybe after the dive shop leaves), it has a lock with a 4 digit combo, combo for dock also needed. Its not lockers, its just pegs you get assigned
4. yes, on the dock after hours.
5. Don't get the included breakfast, it really wasn't any good, bari reef shallows are really cool, saw some of the neatest things in the areas that you think wouldn't have it. Take earplugs if noise bothers you, there is a rocking club across the way.

JJ

If you need a laundromat, there is one near the soccer stadium. In addition to air and nitrox being available on the dock day or night, tanks are also available up near the tank fill station on the shore day or night. The gear room is fine for leaving your stuff overnight to dry. We've been doing it for years.

Update: The gear storage area at the Dive Friends Sand Dollar location was substantially renovated in the fall. All the rusty metal was apparently removed and ventilation improved. Haven't yet seen it myself, but am told that it looks great. Will report more in a few weeks, if the changes have not been already described.

Meant to make mention, We left all gear at the locker except for regs and computers, no issue, I don't leave my reg and computer out anywhere so that is normal for us.

I think @homerdoc nailed a lot of your questions. I will defer to @scubadada, -- given his more numerous and recent experiences at Den Laman and the somewhat recent management changes.

I would add only the following, so far:

1. You can bring whatever you want to your room/balcony to dry out.
2. There is no elevator in the building. So, consider what floor you are on and how much and how often you want to be hauling things up and down.
3. I felt quite comfortable leaving everything in the locker room, which is secured after hours, and only accessible to those who have been given the code to get in.
4. That being said, I never leave certain things anywhere: My diver computer(s), and my dive camera/camera accessories are never left anywhere and always go with me. I am very choosy about leaving me reg set, just anywhere, also.
5. I am also not a big fan of the included breakfast offered through Den Laman. I don't feel the value for the money is worth it for me and you can opt out of that inclusion/expense. I think it is easier, better and less expensive to make breakfast in the condo.. or if you want a change of pace, walk across the parking lot to Between 2 Buns and get breakfast there and maybe even a "sandwich to go" for lunch, if diving on a long dive day up North or down South.

Just a note: The breakfast is provided by an on-site restaurant that is independent of Den Laman. So, any opinions of the food, it's quality or quantity should be a reflection on the restaurant itself and not Den Laman.

I think you will love Den Laman and your stay there.

The gear storage area was closed the 2nd week of October for a complete rebuild. They ripped out the entire concrete floor and drainage and completely redid it. I did not see the finished product. The old gear storage area was fine, the new one is likely better. We have left our regs since our first trip with Bonaire Dive and Adventure in 2004 have never had a problem. We take only our computers.

Wow, great replies. I had cancelled the breakfast shortly after booking - really like Between 2 Buns anyway! I figured wash can be done quickly in the sink and hung on balcony (if necessary) - I only pack enough shorts/bathing suits for 6 days or so to save on luggage weight. I left all my gear in lockers and on hangers while at Buddy without incident - good to know that Den Laman is comparable (or better). I’m on 3rd floor so that helps as well!

Thanks again!!

Gerry

The gear storage area was closed the 2nd week of October for a complete rebuild. They ripped out the entire concrete floor and drainage and completely redid it. I did not see the finished product. The old gear storage area was fine, the new one is likely better. We have left our regs since our first trip with Bonaire Dive and Adventure in 2004 have never had a problem. We take only our computers.

I don’t know what it looked like beforehand, but it is currently quite nice. The only problem we had with it was that midway through our trip the power went out and wasn’t fixed. That meant the motion activated lights didn’t turn on and the drying fans were not working. I used my dive lights to see for hanging gear after night diving. When everything was working it was great though. Our gear was actually really dry in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom