Trip Report Den Laman & Dive Friends, August 11-25, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I spent 10 days in Bonaire in December 2017 and had such a good time staying at Den Laman and diving with Dive Friends, that we returned for 2 weeks in August 2018

Reservations:
Again, we made all reservations through Den Laman, including accommodations, truck rental (Avis), and diving with Dive Friends. The reservation process worked flawlessly.

Travel:
The most noticeable improvement in this trip was our air travel. We flew on American Airlines from Philadelphia to Miami and then took their direct flight to Bonaire. The perfect flight got us to Bonaire at 3:30, plenty of time to do our first round of grocery and beverage shopping. This was a huge improvement over our trip last December when we flew to Aruba and took Insel Air to Bonaire. The return flight home was delayed a bit due to weather in Miami, but our flight to Philadelphia was also delayed and we got home in the wee hours of the morning. Our Avis dual cab, late model pickup with good A/C and manual transmission was without any problems. Pick up and drop off at the airport could not be easier.

Accommodations:
We stayed in the same second floor, oceanfront, one bedroom unit that we enjoyed so much on our previous stay, the Parrotfish. This unit has a great, modern kitchen, large living/dining room, nice bedroom and bath. The kitchen accoutrements had been augmented since our last stay. We prepared all of our meals this visit. The split unit A/C in the bedroom and living room worked perfectly. As before, we really enjoyed the large balcony overlooking the ocean. It was the perfect place to sit and relax, enjoy a cold beer, and watch a beautiful sunset after a day of great diving. Housekeeping was every other day, every request was promptly taken care of.

Diving:
Dive Friends, located on site at Sand Dollar/Den Laman, made the diving as easy as possible. As we had just been there recently, our Marine Park orientation took mere minutes, we obtained our weights, and were in the water doing our first dive on Bari Reef. As a customer of Den Laman, we had the use of the gear drying and storage building and access to the pier, the easiest access to Bari Reef. The pier had been significantly improved and construction was completed since out last visit. There are more than enough gear set up benches and tables. There is a nice new table next to the camera rinse tank. There are plenty of nitrox and air tanks available on the pier for both diving at Bari Reef and for boat dives. Fills were routinely good and nitrox ran 32% consistently. Dive Friends boats leave from the pier every morning for a 2 tank dive and some afternoons for a 1 tanker. Dive Friends has 4 boats, we dived mostly off the Pelican, a comfortable 30 foot Island Hopper, and a couple times off the Pascal, a 33 foot twin outboard. The boats go to Klein Bonaire and to northern sites that are not accessible from the shore. There is an easy drive up tank station in the parking lot with 24/7 access for shore diving. Dive Friends has 6 additional locations around the island.

The diving off Bonaire is probably the most relaxing, easiest diving I do, my wife’s favorite location. Water temperature was 81-83 degrees. Visibility was generally very good at around 80 feet, sometimes a little less, sometime a little more. There was generally little to no current, it was mild at most. We had 13 days of diving and ended up doing a leisurely 40 dives. My wife is less enthusiastic about shore dives so we ended up doing 20 boat and 20 shore dives, fine with me. Boat dives are said to be 60 minutes. I generally got in and descended before the group and got out following the last divers. Average dive time was about 71 ½ minutes (68-77), the crew was quite flexible.

The reefs were generally in good shape and teeming with the usual reef fish. Spotted and Goldentail Morays were everywhere along with many Sharptail Eel and their hunting companions. There were less large Tiger Grouper and turtles than we saw last December but many more Tarpon. We saw several beautiful seahorses, a single Eagle Ray, a cute little Slender Filefish. No Frogfish for us this visit.

This was our 5th visit to Bonaire, we are currently scheming on our 6th

upload_2018-11-5_18-16-41.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-17-32.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-18-29.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-19-12.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-20-4.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-20-54.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-21-31.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-22-36.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-24-22.png

upload_2018-11-5_18-25-22.png

Thanks, Scubadada. Very nice report and pictures. We just booked with them for next May based on the recommendations from folks on this site. Looking forward to the relaxed nature of the shore dives.

Rob

Glad to hear a detailed report about Den Lamen. I was blessed with 8 trips to Bonaire, the last in 2014 IIRC. Loved it. Realized I'd become something of a '1 trick scuba pony' and branched out into other destinations, which has been great since I've seen lots of things I'd probably never have seen in Bonaire - tiger, bull, sand tiger and lemon sharks, sea lions, harbor seals, kelp, goliath grouper...so much.

Despite that, Bonaire probably remains my favorite, because that's where a 'navigationally-challenged' diver can independently enter and, with moderate swim-out, self-conduct dives where, when and how often he/she wishes, even solo, and basically 'do your own dive.' I miss it badly.

Bari Reef is so popular I've considered trying to line up a Sand Dollar Condo. solo trip; I'd be interested to see whether a stay at Den Lamen for a solo diver/traveler would be more or less expensive.

Speaking of the solo angle, is that a small sandy beach I see behind it in the one photo? I ask because some destinations I'm inclined to take my wife & our 5-year old to (sometimes mother-in-law goes with us). Bonaire's lack of sandy beach made it less attractive for that because the kid likes to play at the beach.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Den Laman has studios and 1 and 2 bedroom units. Sand Dollar has the same plus 3 bedroom units. Either could work for a single diver up to pretty large family group. Both have full kitchens, cost saving and relaxing. We stayed at Sand Dollar our first 3 trips, 2004, 5, and 8. I hear many of the units have been renovated, A/C added, etc. Sand Dollar has a pool, Den Laman does not. Den Laman has a very small beach, seen in the photo of condos. Sand Dollar has a little more beach and a swim area that you can see behind the camera rinse tank in that photo, the buildings are Sand Dollar. Families and kids seem to enjoy the Sand Dollar area.

Dive Friends is between the two and serves both. The pier and storage room are available to both. Dive Friends customers from other locations must enter Bari Reef from the parking lot just south of Sand Dollar.

Let me know if you have other questions I can help you with. I love Bonaire too, but, there are just so many great places to go diving. All we can do is keep trying.

Very best and good diving, Craig

Thanks! I like that view, but my wife thinks if I were off diving all day our high-maintenance 5-year old would drive her nuts on Bonaire. I'll keep Den Laman in mind as an option for me, though.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this area mentioned more when people ask about Bonaire and sandy beaches on the forum. I've stayed at Eden Beach Resort so I know what they have (man-made, I think, and the water line is rock, then a little ways out a shallow 'cliff' ledge, NOT the gradual sandy slope into the water), I've read of Harbor Village (too cheap to stay there), and I've seen that little patch of sand at Bachelor's Beach dive site.

What I see there could entertain a kid or two for awhile. It's not the gorgeous white sand expansive beach of Aruba, or Grand Cayman's 7 Mile Beach, but still...

Richard.

I think the swimming area off the beach is pretty nice. There's reasonable snorkeling at the edge of the wall, and, Sand Dollar does have a pool. I've settled on Den Laman, but, with young kids, Sand Dollar might be the better choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom