Deluxe vs Transplate harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the real difference between these two harness systems in terms of load distribution an comfort? I know the Transplate is padded on the shoulders and has some different details like the side plates and quick release buckles, but aside from that will the deluxe harness contribute to load distribution?

I have both. Biggest ergonomic difference is that the transplate harness shoulder straps anchor to waistbelt with angled slides that you can adjust as opposed to the deluxe harness, where the shoulder straps anchor on the plate, where they are threaded through the plate like a normal hogarthian rig. If you are a big guy or have shoulder issues, the transplate harness helps a bit more than the deluxe in donning, particularly in a drysuit because the lower shoulder anchors can be moved more towards the front.

Otherwise, I prefer the deluxe because it is cleaner and gives a little more room, but without the QD buckles, belt slides etc. The deluxe falls between the hogarthian model and the transplate and just adds transition rings and a sternum strap

I also preferred the transplate, if you go that route, without the pads, which don't make much difference and actually make the rig more cumbersome.

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Been through shoulder surgery three months ago and to me it looks like my standard hog harness will go straight over the scar area on the soulder/collarbone. If i get a deluxe harness the straps will possibly come more straight down and hopefully put less of a direct load on the area of surgery. I like the simple webbing harness so it looks like the deluxe will be closest to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom