Delta wants to charge $100.00 per pony tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am headed to Cancun this week end, and want to bring a few pony's with for myself and my dive buddy / 17 yr old kid.
Delta wants to charge $100.00 per tank in checked baggage.
Has anybody been charged for pony tanks in luggage by Delta?
I was thinking about just putting them in a back pack and counting them as my carry on bag.
Thanks, Jim Breslin

Carry them on. I'm sure you could probably get away with checking them, but who wants to deal with a $200 possible fine. Or find a new airline.

JBRES1:
I am headed to Cancun this week end, and want to bring a few pony's with for myself and my dive buddy / 17 yr old kid.
I was thinking about just putting them in a back pack and counting them as my carry on bag.
Thanks, Jim Breslin
I've been to Mexico twice with my pony (13cu ft). First time was on US Air (Nov. '04) and the second time with United Airlines (July '06). Both times I took the valve off and put a plastic screw-in insert and buried it in my checkin luggage. I didn't declare it, and they didn't complain. The last time I know TSA found it, as they unscrewed the plastic insert and threw it back in.

United's website says something about a fee for "scuba tanks", but the TSA website simply says no compressed air tanks without the top removed. If you remove the top you can either carry it on or check it.

Good luck...

Jerry

JBRES1:
How do you know this? Where did you find the info on this $100/tank charge?

Most airlines have special tariffs for big awkward things like bicycles, surfboards, and skis. As part of those tariffs they have a charge for someone who shows up wearing a complete scuba outfit and dumps it onto the counter for the airline to take. Perhaps it is this tariff that you heard about.

I've never heard of an airline charging for scuba gear that fits inside baggage when it doesn't have a tank even though there have been multiple threads on Scubaboard where someone hears about the tariff for scuba gear and freaks out.

Of course,there is a possibility that they are more strict and do have a charge on tanks, since a pressurized tank (greater than around 40psi IIRC) is something forbidden to carry onto a plane, and in theory they should open up your luggage and verify that the valve is out.

Here is the reference:
http://delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/fragile_bulky/sporting_goods/index.jsp

Continental does the same for scuba but not paint ball
http://www.continental.com/web/en-U...ts.aspx?SID=DBBBE87AC3D24F6FBBCAC9DA0C2A48A9&

Pony bottles are not a problem on Delta or Continental - I have been flying mine all over the world and I pretty much exclusively fly Delta and on occasion COntinental.

What they do not want are large cylinders. But the only people who really care are TSA.

I am a frequent traveler for work. Yet another reason NOT to fly the WORST airline on the face of the planet.

Delta once damaged (significantly) my NEW rolling garment bag that I checked against my will. What I was told by the employee in baggage in response to my complaint (that they NEVER repaired) was, "yeah, we pretty well suck anymore, but there is nothing I can do about it."

Flatliner
aka Robert

Scared Silly:
Thanks for the updated links. The rules have been rewritten to clearly state that scuba gear excluding tanks can be part of the baggage allowance. Unfortunately, they also are pretty clear about the $100/tank charge.

In your situation, I'd just put the two ponies in my luggage and take the remote chance that someone is going to be motivated enough to try and charge you if they somehow discover the tank after you check the bag. It's kind of like the lottery you face when you show up a few pounds heavy. The clerk may or may not feel like going to the trouble of collecting.

TSA may look at it, but they aren't looking for any money.

One more thing to consider... is that $100 each way or $100 round trip?

I'm betting that you get charged each time you check in at the counter, or each way. So that's a $200 pony bottle you're taking.

For a lot of places for $200 you can buy a tank when you get there, use it and pay the shipping to send it home and still come out cheaper than $200

I simply shipped my pony ahead of time and back when done. Worked pretty well, but this was to Key West also - not Mexico.

JBRES1:
Thanks, Jim Breslin

Rent them at Tech Mex Divers.

Back
Top Bottom