Delta Air Lines Closing Cozumel Station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelagicsal

Dedicated Dive Bum
Reaction score
A half-mile norte del Centro, Cozumel, Mx.
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Announced to Delta’s Cozumel employees on May 7, 2020. Closure announced as permanent.
Reopening may be possible in high season, though no indication of that was given.
Sigh.

Closure announced as permanent.......
Reopening may be possible in high season

well that sounds a bit contradictory. :)

Or they'll use a handling agent.
I don't think that any airline actually employees many employees there. They contract with an agency to supply workers who change name tags and operate the ground station for those flights. This is common at many destinations that only have few flights a week for any airline.

Depends on the airline.
Traditional airlines generally tend to do their own handling.
Low cost airlines contract out everything. My airline does very little engineering and no handling or check-in. It contracts out everything at fixed turnaround cost, with penalties for no performance i.e. delaying aircraaft departure or other non-performance issues. Check-in and gate staff wear the correct airline uniform, but the give away is the pass is issued with the contractor's name not the airline. Our inhouse software calculates how many people/ teams are needed at each airport with regards check-in throught to pushback teams. If the contractor uses those figure it actually works...... Go less and then you get non performance issues.

I suspect we will see this happening at many destinations.

Delta also announced they are canceling flights in the us to airports nearby to other served airports.

well that sounds a bit contradictory. :)
That was all the information that I got from a Delta employee. I passed it along as it was presented to me.

@dorsal When I read the article about the US station closings, I thought the same.

@DandyDon There were a number of Delta Air Lines employees whose base was Cozumel.

Oh the horror! They’ll still fly into CUN.

Flights to CZM on Delta are not available on the app in February and March. There’s an error message that says not enough seats are available, but it can’t be true that there are flights without seats.

This is a big disappointment for me. Flying directly into CZM has always been a real convenience. With Detroit as my home airport, Delta is usually the only real option. I can get there on American, but American has not been a great experience. I suppose I will have to get more familiar with the bag drag from CUN, but that really makes the travel into a full day.

I can get there on American, but American has not been a great experience. I suppose I will have to get more familiar with the bag drag from CUN, but that really makes the travel into a full day.
American is an airline out to make money first & foremost like all of the others. I'd rather fly into & out Cozumel than go thru Cancun. The fare is outrageous, but the flights look better than what I can get.

upload_2020-5-10_9-54-53.png

Back
Top Bottom