Delta 4 Reg letting water in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan_FL

Registered
Reaction score
I bought the Delta 4 regulator with the fdx10 last year from leisurepro.com. Since my first dive, I have had a problem with little mists of water getting in from time to time. It doesn't happen with every single breath, but often it happens multiple breaths in a row. It seems to happen more often the more inverted my position in the water is.

It is only a very little amount that is getting in, like I said, a fine mist. Unfortunately the first time I dove, I just ignored it. A few hours after I completed two hours of diving, Saltwater Aspiration Syndrome set in, and I was in quite a bit of pain with each breath. The few times I have been diving since then, I have just put my tongue to the roof of my mouth to block any water that might come in.

What is wrong with my regulator?

It is only a very little amount that is getting in, like I said, a fine mist. Unfortunately the first time I dove, I just ignored it. A few hours after I completed two hours of diving, Saltwater Aspiration Syndrome set in, and I was in quite a bit of pain with each breath. The few times I have been diving since then, I have just put my tongue to the roof of my mouth to block any water that might come in.

First, I don't work for Oceanic.

That said, all regs may breathe a little wet in some positions. A side-effect of letting the exhaust air out is that some water might sneak in.

However if you're constantly getting water in your reg and you aren't constantly upside down or other odd position, there's a problem somewhere on your second stage.

There are a fixed number of things that can cause this, ranging from loose/damaged mouthpiece, to physical damage and dirt and salt buildup. You can check the mouthpiece to make sure it's properly attached, isn't damaged and the wire tie is still tight.

If the mouthpiece is good, you're probably better off just bringing it in for service, since repairs will require a proper cleaning, and maybe a part or two. Any needed parts should be relatively inexpensive.

There is one more possibility which is way out on the "bizarre" list; It's possible that your tank is massively contaminated and full of water. This is astonishingly unlikely when compared to the possibility of a damaged or dirty second stage, but I just wanted to bring it up "just in case".

flots.

Hmm, everything seems properly attached, and there aren't any signs of damage. I guess I do just need to get it serviced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom