delayed bags - impact on liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was supposed to join a Liveaboard a couple of weeks ago, but had to cancel last minute because my bags never came... (took 4 days to get the bag...). I planned on something going wrong, which is why I landed in Egypt 3 days before the boat was set to depart, but unfortunately that was not enough time.

While I could have rented gear, I had absolutely no clothes and this was going to be my first week-long liveaboard, so I did not want to go on the boat unprepared.

have any of you ever not received your bag before departing on a liveaboard? what did you do?

I was supposed to join a Liveaboard a couple of weeks ago, but had to cancel last minute because my bags never came... (took 4 days to get the bag...). I planned on something going wrong, which is why I landed in Egypt 3 days before the boat was set to depart, but unfortunately that was not enough time.

While I could have rented gear, I had absolutely no clothes and this was going to be my first week-long liveaboard, so I did not want to go on the boat unprepared.

have any of you ever not received your bag before departing on a liveaboard? what did you do?

If I am going diving ALL my essential gear is in my carry on's
If I have to check a bag, it is stuff I am prepared to live without.

I would have just bought a few clothes in Egypt, minimum, wash in shower when needed. If I needed dive gear for whatever reason I'd have bought or rented. But like I say, all my essential stuff goes carry on.

If I am going diving ALL my essential gear is in my carry on's
If I have to check a bag, it is stuff I am prepared to live without.

I would have just bought a few clothes in Egypt, minimum, wash in shower when needed. If I needed dive gear for whatever reason I'd have bought or rented. But like I say, all my essential stuff goes carry on.
Agreed. Essential gear (for me, CPAP, computer, spare computer batteries, and passport) fit fine in my carryon. Gear can be rented on the boat, and I'm quite happy to dive naked if it comes down to missing a trip.

Happened to me departing from St. Maarten. I had my mask, regulator, and computer with me. Bought shorts, a t-shirt and toiletries in the airport. Boat loaned me BCD, suit, and fins. Gear caught up with me midweek.

Happened to me departing from St. Maarten. I had my mask, regulator, and computer with me. Bought shorts, a t-shirt and toiletries in the airport. Boat loaned me BCD, suit, and fins. Gear caught up with me midweek.
In Saba no doubt. A lot of bags get to CEX at Saba.

In Saba no doubt. A lot of bags get to CEX at Saba.
Actually, I think they may have caught up with us at St. Kitts. Not 100% in my memory banks right now, but I think it was Wednesday in time for the night dive.
They got delayed because there was a snow storm in Atlanta that delayed our flight out of O'Hare. (and just to stress the system a bit more, a shooting in Ft. Lauderdale airport the night before.) Just when it looked like we might be able to make our connection even with the delay, there was a medical emergency while waiting to take off and we had to return to the gate. The best we could do in the cluster @*&% that was happening in Atlanta was to get to Puerto Rico that night, and then to St. Maarten the next day, where the 3 of us chartered a puddle jumper to catch up to the boat in Saba. PR is where my bag was first missed, so I knew to do some airport shopping in St. Maarten.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope that you enjoyed your time on the Red Sea, regardless?

As the others have said, my carry-on contains my regs, mask, computers, a bunch of bathing suits and a change of clothes or two.

So far the only time my luggage didn't arrive with me, was on a return trip so no biggie. Regardless, I'm always prepared.

You haven't told us what you did have in your carry on. No clothes, but did you have any other gear with you?

Don't let this experience discourage you. Only have it serve as a learning opportunity.
Hopefully, this will never happen to you again but if it does, you'll be better prepared.

By the way, why did you believe that something was going to happen?

This past November I was on 2 liveaboards in the Red Sea. On the 1st Liveaboard, one of the passengers had a similar experience: her bag did not arrive in Egypt when she did. When we learned of her predicament, some of us (gals) donated articles of clothing to help her out (t-shirts, jackets). She was able to rent gear onboard. Her bag was waiting for her when we pulled into port at the end of the trip. The Liveaboard had laundry facilities so she was able to return our garments to us at week's end.

Good idea to build in a few days pre-liveaboard to allow for wayward luggage and recover from jet lag.

The only dive gear I carry in my carryon bags is my prescription dive mask and computer. Everything else can be rented.

I carry my toiletries, basic clothes and bathing suit. Just enough to scrape by. I would never scrap a trip for delayed bags.

On one trip, there was a delayed bag for one passenger. We all got together and loaned him what he needed. The boat captain arranged for the bag to be brought to the boat by a local boatman.

Some recommend to pack clothes in checked bags and then carry essential dive gear on, but I prefer to spread clothes around between checked and carry-on for just the situation you experienced. Carry on at least a couple of t-shirts, bathing suit, etc.

Four days delay is a lot, and planning for three days worst case was about as much as reasonable. You just had very bad luck. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom