Del Water Gap Diving on 12/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vablackwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey there,

Anyone up for a dive in the Water Gap at the old train wreck by the Indian Head on 12/26 around noon?

I am a PSD in central VA who used to dive the Delaware River frequently in the early 90's and would love to get in the water again there for nostalgia. :eyebrow:

If anyone is interested, please feel free to email me at vablackwater@aol.com.

Thanks,
John

I might be interested in joining in, but I'd really like to know what I am looking to get into- depth, current, what the heck is there....train wreck sounds interesting, though I am guessing now no train and no wreck, just mud. And if anyone else has any ideas for next week, I think I am pretty free and clear, just need to make sure I have fills.....
-Jay

Can you send some pointers to info on the site. I'll be in DE the night before and might be able to do it.

Steve Smith

Hey all,

It has been years since I dove there, but to the best of my recollection, the is accessible via a steep slope off a set of train tracks with loose gravel. Getting in at the site is possible, but not simple. The slope is probably 35 or so degrees over 40 feet. Parking is on the opposite side of a set of train tracks that winds through the center of the Delaware Water Gap itself (Between NJ and PA) by Portland, PA.

The site starts 10 feet or so off the beach, where a train went to fast around the bend. The locomotive was salvaged, I think there are the chassis for 3 or 4 cars, all distorted and twisted. There is also a truck that missed the same curve, the only think left was a 20 foot container. No penetrations. Lots of entanglements. The debris field extends for about 75 feet and parallels the shore. This is also a local fishing spot, so lures galore. Max depth here is less than 20 but slopes gently to the center of the water gap (35 feet or so). Visibility is probably 5 feet or so, no more than 10. There is a slight current but more towards the center of the river.

This is a fairly popular site with locals (or was), probably a few rail spikes but not much else. Used to be some decent sized carp and catfish. Water temp in central VA was 43 degrees this weekend, probably closer to the upper 30's in PA now.

R,
John

ughhh, i am a NMOF caught MOFing. :no

Attachments

• delaware crop.jpg
    delaware crop.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 78
Now THAT looks like fun! Glad to see someone else wears a REAL dry suit! :wink:

How was the dive?

Actually, it was a beautiful dive. Vis was somewhere in the range of 8 to 10 feet, most of the algae and such was thwarted by the cold. Water temp was 40 degrees, max depth of 30 foot. A lot more deadfall and stumps than I remember, but the structures were unchanges as I remember them. Not the usual marine assortment (catfish, bass, walleye, turtle, eel) as in the summer, but nice to get a dive in at an old haunt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom