Deking out a shark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So maybe I should reconsider my mask strap

LOL

My mask strap has a cartoon snarling shark. So far so good. No head bites only a nurse shark sucking on my index finger!

Since sharks are the apex predators - would eyes mean “lunch” to them?

They are less likely to attack when being looked at . . .by big prey . . .hey, it's a theory. I've used it in practice but frankly, it was unlikely those sharks were going to bite me anyway. Regardless, I never knowingly take my eyes off of nor turn my back on a shark. They do like to sneak up from behind. Ergo, if I've got eyes in the back of my head or on my back, hopefully it is some small measure of deterent.

Hmm, maybe I should get some eye stickers for my butt.

And let us not forget what the BFK is for.

Generally fish eat other fish head first, hence false eyes on the tails on juvenile fish to allow them to escape with perhaps losing a bit of a tailfin that may (or may not) grow back.

So given this point, wouldn't putting the eyes on the surfboard or whatever make that a focal point for the shark to eat.

However watching Great Whites attack in various videos online, they tend to go for the middle and chomp (seals at any rate), I'm not sure if they care what end is the front.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom