Deerfield beach pier cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I recently seen this cleanup will be taking place on June 16th. I had a thought of participating but at the same time noticed they will be going for a world record and tring to get a chain of 400 divers around the pier.

Being a new diver I am a little concerned with 400 divers being in this very small area.

Anyone every participate in this event before? How did it turn out? Is it well organized?

Thanks,
Nick

I actually signed up for the event. I figured it would be cool to check out at least once.. My lobster buddy participated in the attempt last year and said it wasn't as bad (organization wise) as he thought. It sounds like everyone is numbered, so i'd think its pretty much the diver's responsibility to pay attention and stay in order. It's supposed to cost $20, but when i signed up and got to the payment page, I got a 'thank you' and a registration number and never had to pay.. so i'm still on the fence on attending..

Sounds like fun. If only I were closer.

@t3chnobrat

When you signed up did you select a team or just opt to be no team. I’m going to have to see if I’m free that weekend but maybe I can attend and maybe meet some new dive buddies in the process.

I went last year. It was fine. The cleanup is not at the same time as the record thing. And not everyone does both. I only did the cleanup, it was fun!

@t3chnobrat

When you signed up did you select a team or just opt to be no team. I’m going to have to see if I’m free that weekend but maybe I can attend and maybe meet some new dive buddies in the process.

I just signed up as a single. I couldn't find anyone who was interested so i figured i'd fly solo. Let me know if you decide to go.

Sounds like a bad plan to me...if they get the 400, a lot of crowding and higher chance of reef damage.
I haven't dived near the pier, but the reefs in that area are smallish.
Maybe that's the reason for picking that location for such an exercise.

@Ghetto Diver I grew up fishing this pier and there isn’t much reef around and what reef is there gets covered and uncovered almost every year. I’ve never actively participated in this event but it has been done every year for quite awhile now. I have heard of other pier regulars getting 5+ lbs of weights (1-8 oz sinkers) from being on top of the pier helping clean up.

I’m sure there will be quite a few uncontrolled or distracted divers that will do more harm then good but I believe it is an overall good thing to do for the pier. I believe they report the debris they collect.

Last edited:
You don't need 400 divers to clean around the pier. Since it is about $20 a registration fee, I'd say it is a cash grab with an excuse.

You don't need 400 divers to clean around the pier. Since it is about $20 a registration fee, I'd say it is a cash grab with an excuse.

The 400 Divers are for a world record attempt and most of the proceeds will be going to pay for the record attempt. Also you get a t shirt and a goodie bag I believe.

I have decided to go and will share my experience afterwards. Not sure if I’m staying for the record or not yet will decide the day of most likely

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom