Deepsea Detectives: S5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
Deepsea Detectives: S5

What the ****!? Did anyone watch this fiasco they called diving? These guys are about as unsafe as...

DIY RB mod with no test dive down to 185' with intentions of penetration???? Disturbing to see The History Channel promoting unsafe dive practices on international television. They almost lost another diver on this show.

Tonight, errr last night, you saw a re-air of the show. I think the show aired originally during the fall of 2003. Some people commented on it at that time as well.

mempilot:
DIY RB mod with no test dive down to 185' with intentions of penetration???? Disturbing to see The History Channel promoting unsafe dive practices on international television. They almost lost another diver on this show.

Trust me, He realizes that he made one of the biggest mistakes of his life. But why cover it up, let others learn from his mistake.

Yeah, he admitted his mistake. I'm not surprised by his actions, since we all have done something in life that scared the begeezes out us. Just makes me wonder a little when it's that obvious.

Trying for another dive this morning, Jim. I'm going out local and will probably end up on the Jupiter Star. Looks like a beautiful day outside, 3-5' seas, wind shifting to the NW. We're taking a photographer with today, so I may get some good pics from her tonight.

I watched it, but due to distractions, I'm not entirely sure I know what happened. Can someone go into detail about what went wrong with his kit and the RB?

I do know I was watching this guy put his gear together and he said something like, "Yeah, I haven't tested it, but it should work just fine." I turned to my wife and said that's a good way to get dead. Five minutes later we knew it was.

Scary stuff, but moreso when you figure this guy is supposed to know better.

mempilot:
Yeah, he admitted his mistake. I'm not surprised by his actions, since we all have done something in life that scared the begeezes out us. Just makes me wonder a little when it's that obvious.

Trying for another dive this morning, Jim. I'm going out local and will probably end up on the Jupiter Star. Looks like a beautiful day outside, 3-5' seas, wind shifting to the NW. We're taking a photographer with today, so I may get some good pics from her tonight.

I know I have made some of my own.

I am very jealous. (you like the Jupiter area?) They are calling for snow up here. I am glad to be heading south in the morning.

I think the show is a very interesting show when they stick to historical facts about wrecks, when they show what is involved in the exploration and research. To me that is all pretty fascinating stuff, and I actually think John does a real good job on that aspect of the show. They totally and absolutely loose me when they talk about their dive "plan" or there discussions about safe diving protocols.

When they stick to history, I think they do a great job, and the show is well done so I have to take off my scuba instructor hat. As soon as they get into their diving protocols, I cringe..

Later

The rebreather bit was all staged for the show from what I hear. Also from what I read he didn't make or modify the thing either.

The only lesson in it is..."Don't beleive everything you see on TV".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom