DeepBlu Cosmiq....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KG Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I recently got OWA certified and were looking to make our first gear purchase, a dive computer.

Looking around $300-350 we had narrowed it down to a pair of Oceanic Veo 3's or a Geo 2's. Then a couple of days ago, I came across the DeepBlu Cosmiq. What caught my eye was the price ($299), a very crisp easy-to-read display, and bluetooth sync which negates the need for overpriced USB cables to log your dives. However, there some things about it that put me off. The battery life is only rated at 6-7 hours per charge, not all settings can be manipulated directly from the device and require smartphone connectivity, logging your dives is limited to their app, and lastly, a proprietary algorithm.

I've been trying to dig around the net to see if I could find more user info/experience on this device only to find very little in the way of user reviews; which led me to this making this thread.

Has anyone on here had hands-on experience with the Cosmiq? Thoughts? Good, bad, ugly? Basically, looking for valid reasons to avoid this device?

it's only been out for a few months really so not any lengthy reviews just because it is so new.

I am an ambassador, but have not ordered mine yet due to a few software issues that I have with it. @Jim Lapenta is also an ambassador and will be reselling them. He has his already and I believe has either already posted a review or is due to post one soon.

For recreational diving, there isn't really a particular reason to avoid it over the Geo/Veo's and I wouldn't avoid it. I haven't purchased mine for various reasons that involve teaching scenarios, but at the same time I wouldn't be able to use the geo/veo's either

The "normal" decompression algorithm of the Cosmiq is slightly more conservative than Pelagic Pressure System's PZ+ (both proprietary versions of Buhlmann ZHL-16C) and is considerably more conservative than DSAT. They now have a "progressive" setting. Deepblu has chosen not to release NDL tables to help evaluate the performance of their algorithm. They have also chosen not to correspond with me by email to provide additional information. It would be useful if Deepblu would join the Manufacturers Forum to facilitate discussion of topics related to their computer. The "normal" algorithm values were posted on SB by @Jim Lapenta. I hope he will post the "progressive" values with his review of the computer.

The "no dive time" on page 24 of the Cosmiq manual is incompletely described but causes me worry. I have never seen a "feature" like this. It appears the computer may lock out if it decides you need a longer surface interval. I also queried Deepblu on this topic but received no reply.

The Cosmiq has many, many alarms. I would hope a future update would allow one to disable alarms not desired and/or allow silencing the audible alarms.

The Cosmiq is an interesting new product and has the potential to be an acceptable, reasonably inexpensive basic dive computer. I am unimpressed with Deepblu's responsiveness to my requests for additional information regarding their computer. I too await in depth reviews of the Cosmiq

I guess I will be holding off on purchasing a DC for now; at least until some reviews on the Cosmiq start coming in.

... bluetooth sync which negates the need for overpriced USB cables to log your dives.

Well, that is true except

... require smartphone connectivity, logging your dives is limited to their app

Bluetooth USB dongles (if you don't have it built-in) are not expensive and I hope they'll publish their protocol so subsurface, divelog, etc. developers can add support for it, but until then a $100 USB cable sounds pretty cheap in comparison.

I have one coming this week and will try to post a review soon.

i have one.. going to bring it divng this weekend..

what do you want to know...? i will be out of internet in 18 hours.. :)

i have one.. going to bring it divng this weekend..

what do you want to know...? i will be out of internet in 18 hours.. :)

Any obvious quality control issues (hopefully shouldn't be any). Battery life, how much actual dive time on one full charge. Also, if you have access to another DC, compare NDL time the Cosmiq gives you vs another computer; or if you do not have another computer compare Cosmiq's NDL in the conservative, normal, progressive modes.

Other than that, anything you like or don't like about it. How intuitive and easy to navigate is it (from reading the manual it seems pretty straight forward, especially compared to traditional DC like the Veo/Geo)?

Any obvious quality control issues (hopefully shouldn't be any). Battery life, how much actual dive time on one full charge. Also, if you have access to another DC, compare NDL time the Cosmiq gives you vs another computer; or if you do not have another computer compare Cosmiq's NDL in the conservative, normal, progressive modes.

Other than that, anything you like or don't like about it. How intuitive and easy to navigate is it (from reading the manual it seems pretty straight forward, especially compared to traditional DC like the Veo/Geo)?

actually in singapore. we already have a little review on this..
DeepBlu Cosmiq - page 3 - Dive Computer, Dive Watch & Bottom Timer - ScubaSG

if the link do not work. search for 'deepblu +scubasg'

The main thing i want to try is also the battery life. it is rated to do 7 hours battery life. on this weekend trip. the total number of dives is 5. so let me see if i can squeeze out the most out of it.
and yes..you can turn off the dive comp. that is what i will do between dives.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom