Deep6 3mm or 7mm in 77f water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apenland01

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have both and haven't had a chance to dive the 3mm in warmer water. Will the 3mm be enough in 77f water in Socorro or should I take the 7mm?

I have an OMS aluminum BP with a VDH 23 or a HOG SS BP with a HOG 32 wing. I will be diving steel HP100 tanks. I'd prefer not to take everything with me....

I just got back from a mid-December Socorro trip and dove a 2/3 Bare all week. Temps were 80/81F. I was getting a bit chilly the last day, but stuck it out for the sake of stubbornness instead of switching to a 5mm.

I was paranoid about the water temps since I chill easily, and brought a 2/3mm, 5mm, hood, gloves, and Exowear, planning to layer as needed Didn't wind up using anything but the 2/3, but the trip was originally planned for the cooler May waters, as well.

For what it's worth, I'd have happily dove a thicker suit to offset the weight of those heavy-a** tanks at depth. I had no weight on me and was still considerably heavy at safety stop and a 500psi tank. Some actually switched to AL80s mid-trip to avoid that. I definitely considered, but stuck it out. YMMV. Hope your trip is as great as ours!

Most people will SUFFER in a 3mm suit in Socorro. Temps are often in that 77F range and you are doing a lot of diving every day. I have been there several times at different times of year, and always bring a 5mm suit with light 1mm hood. My last trip I brought along a LavaCore hooded vest I could put on as I got colder at the end of the day.

My wife brought a 5mm suit the first trip, but ended up renting a 7mm suit as the trip went on. She bought a 7mm and uses that suit in Socorro and Galapagos now, along with a hood or beanie.

Get some "sharkskin" socks as well, as you do a lot of kicking in the current and will blister up quick without protection.

Most people will SUFFER in a 3mm suit in Socorro. Temps are often in that 77F range and you are doing a lot of diving every day. I have been there several times at different times of year, and always bring a 5mm suit with light 1mm hood. My last trip I brought along a LavaCore hooded vest I could put on as I got colder at the end of the day.

My wife brought a 5mm suit the first trip, but ended up renting a 7mm suit as the trip went on. She bought a 7mm and uses that suit in Socorro and Galapagos now, along with a hood or beaning.

Get some "sharkskin" socks as well, as you do a lot of kicking in the current and will blister up quick without protection.

I should have been more to the point. I'd definitely not have made it in my 2/3 all week if temps were even a little cooler. I'd recommend more. Socks are also a great recommendation.

I was there a month ago. A 3mm was fine then, but it was 81. I don't get cold easily and it was just right.

As important as the temp is the fact that you're doing 3-4 dives a day. For one dive, you could gut it out, but I'd sure want more than a 3mm for multiple dives in 77 degree water. Your thermal debt will accumulate.

That said, I hate 7mm suits - with a passion. I'd probably layer up with hooded vest on top of my 3mm.

At 77F, I would just dive in a rash guard, even with 4 dives a day over multiple days. For me, the cold factor comes into play on the surface. If it's colder on the surface or windy, then I'll get cold then, not when under the water. I guess the other worry is whether thermoclines are common and if temperatures drop down to 70F, which is where I would feel chilled underwater.

I'd probably use 3mm and a good hood for that, but bring a boat coat for surface as mentioned above. I don't get cold easily and could do those dives in a bathing suit, but that much cumulative heat loss puts you at increased risk of DCS towards the end of the trip.

This is one of those “it depends” things, I don’t like to travel with a lot of bulky stuff, I get cold more easily now days but a few years ago I dove 75° water at Kona, I was pretty chilled with a 1mm Akona which is why I always travel with two, put the second one over the first and I was fine. I’ve since bought a sharkskin but travel to warmish water has been working out for the last little while.

I would be really comfortable in a 3mm but you have to know your limit for cold.

So, if I were looking at two dives a day at 77 degrees, I'd probably dive a 3mm and a hood, but Socorro is usually a dive-a-thon and you're in your suit for long time, relatively speaking, by the time you gear up (in a wet cold suit), get on the rib, to the drop, back on the rib, pick up divers, and get back on board. Your core temperature will drop by over the course of the day.

There are also occasional upwellings of colder water. People are different, but my advice would be whatever your "normal" comfort requirements are, you should err on the side of some additional insulation.

In 81 degree water at the beginning of December everyone was in 3mm, at least, except for a just a couple of people that wore Lavacore-type tops (and did not look comfortable by the end of the day.

Last and related to tbone's comment about DCS risk, there were folks that were warming up at the end of the day in hot showers and even a hot tub (yes, the boat had one). That's a great recipe for getting skin bends, which is what happened to one of our divers. The moral of the story is stay warm on the dive, whatever it takes for you to do that.

I have both and haven't had a chance to dive the 3mm in warmer water. Will the 3mm be enough in 77f water in Socorro or should I take the 7mm?

I have an OMS aluminum BP with a VDH 23 or a HOG SS BP with a HOG 32 wing. I will be diving steel HP100 tanks. I'd prefer not to take everything with me....
Hey @apenland01

Eric and I will be on the boat with you. Seems water temps “average” 77 there in May but I have seen reports of mid to lower 70’s in dive reports here on SB. And I am cold natured. So both Eric and I are going with 7 mm with hoods and also taking a vest we can layer if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom