Deep Water Cay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, has anyone dived in the vicinity of Deep water Cay in Bahamas?

They have just reopened diving at Deep Water Cay about a year ago. Recently a diveshop has been added. They have a new very nice dive instructor, Molly and brand new equipement.

You can find all of what you find in the Bahamas, shallow reef, deep reef etc. My favorite are the blue holes. Every one is different from the fish and plant life around them. They have one you can almost swim to from the dock really neat with lobster, crab and cubbera (sp?) snapper. Besides the usual there is a high density of turtles since they breed in the area and in the turtle grass. Also an inland salt water pond on the next island you can snorkel and see the turtles since the locals make it a kind of preserve (it is connected to the ocean by a blue hole but I don't think they dive that). Have seen a lot of Dolfin from the boat but not lucky enogh to dive with them yet.

The best about Deep Water Cay is that the next dive shops are in Freeport so almost nobody dives the area. Since diving is in small groups you can pick your spots and choose what you want to do that day. All very personal and not the usual mass dives you sometimes down there. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks so much Aurus. What were your best spots of the shallower dives?

Reef is great for long easy dives. I like the corals and rays around cemetary blue hole. Also Thrift harbor. Have a nice blue hole next to mangroves with many Angel and Parrotfish. After the dive you can do a drift snorkel with the tide for about 1,5 miles. It's like the fish and coral are going by on film ;-).
When are you planning on going?
Happy Easter! Aurus

Hi Aurus, thank for all the info and a very Happy easter to you. I will be there next weekend. I am predominantly a freediver and wanted to mainly do 30 - 40ft reefs.

Have fun and Happy Easter. You should do cemetary blue hole for freediving. I think there is actually a video on You-tube with freediving there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom