Deep spots (70-100M+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sxc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy,

Does anyone know where one can find some good deep spots, other than around koh racha yai/noi? Looking for some place to do some deep freedives, so I don't need anything to look at, I'm looking for a combination of:
1) depth (at least 70M)
2) low wind
3) low swell ideally
4) and low current.

Being near a populated island would be nice, but not required. Being on a populated island with tech divers around would be a major plus (we wouldn't have to bring our own tech deep safety).

Any thoughts?

If you're looking at the Andaman Sea, check the tide tables for currents, they can be quite strong. In general, also depending on exact sites of course, the currents in the area of the Gulf Islands tend to be less strong, so I would check there first. Maybe Khao Sok would be an option for you.

Check with this poster, they offer tech diving as well.

If you're looking at the Andaman Sea, check the tide tables for currents, they can be quite strong. In general, also depending on exact sites of course, the currents in the area of the Gulf Islands tend to be less strong, so I would check there first. Maybe Khao Sok would be an option for you.

Check with this poster, they offer tech diving as well.

To be honest, I'm not particularly concerned about currents as long as its not shore diving. We usually have a long tail following us while we drift otherwise; it'd be nice to have no current so the dive itself takes a little less energy, but it's not the end of the world.

I'll check out Khao Sok more, but a quick check indicates depths shallower than 70M.

Thanks!

I believe that south of Koh Lanta in the Hin Daeng/Hin Muang area you'll find water that deep. There are tech divers on the island, and I'm confident that you could get on regular daytrip boat to those dive sites and take a tech safety diver along with you on the boat. As a matter of fact, one operator there focuses on both free diving and tech diving.

I believe that south of Koh Lanta in the Hin Daeng/Hin Muang area you'll find water that deep. There are tech divers on the island, and I'm confident that you could get on regular daytrip boat to those dive sites and take a tech safety diver along with you on the boat. As a matter of fact, one operator there focuses on both free diving and tech diving.

I've been told that you can find 70-ish, but not anywhere near 90/100. around Hin Daeng, I'll look into it further now, thanks for the tip. I believe the operator you're referring to is Blue Immersion on Lanta, they limit their depth to 50M which we can find around Racha quite easily. We can get up to 80, but it can be a long way by long tail to get around to the spot, and the wind has been acting up, the water has been quite choppy lately, etc so I'm just making some plan B spots, and hoping someone knows of a place with even better depth (or better conditions with the same depth).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I've been told that you can find 70-ish, but not anywhere near 90/100. around Hin Daeng, I'll look into it further now, thanks for the tip. I believe the operator you're referring to is Blue Immersion on Lanta, they limit their depth to 50M which we can find around Racha quite easily. We can get up to 80, but it can be a long way by long tail to get around to the spot, and the wind has been acting up, the water has been quite choppy lately, etc so I'm just making some plan B spots, and hoping someone knows of a place with even better depth (or better conditions with the same depth).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Well, yeah, probably more in the 70-ish depth, but then that was the lower end of your range, so I thought it would meet your criteria. And the op is not Blue Immersion but rather Blue Planet, but maybe that's what you meant. I'm not a free diver, so I don't know about the internal policies of particular shops in that regard, unfortunately.

Give Blue Label Diving a call, Ben can probably organize support as deep as you want to go and beyond. Dive Instructor Training | Advanced Diving Thailand | Trimix I haven't done any of the cave entrances with Ben, but you might also ask if one of the local cave system entrances goes that deep straight down. Ben and Simone don't have a boat but they contract with the local boats to do all their tech courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom