Deep sea octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raphus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are diving in Lanzarote. Today we found this little guy at around 55m. We were on our ascent and had only little time. Got a short video and a good screenshot out of it. And swam away (around 10m) and buried in sand, only eyes looking out. Looked crazy. But we had not Time to make more photos :/

Someone knows what this exactly is? No one here knew or ever saw something like this. Only the owner of the dive shops said, that he know of deep sea octopus in that area.

Attachments

• 16782052442311812677113.jpg
    16782052442311812677113.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 81
Ghost octopus?

Well it's definitely an octopus.

What size was it?

We are diving in Lanzarote. Today we found this little guy at around 55m. We were on our ascent and had only little time. Got a short video and a good screenshot out of it. And swam away (around 10m) and buried in sand, only eyes looking out. Looked crazy. But we had not Time to make more photos :/

Someone knows what this exactly is? No one here knew or ever saw something like this. Only the owner of the dive shops said, that he know of deep sea octopus in that area.
curled octopus (Eledone cirrhosa)? Delicate arms with the curl at the end. Very shy.

curled octopus (Eledone cirrhosa)? Delicate arms with the curl at the end. Very shy.
This could be.. Wikipedia says, that they bury themself in sand until only the eyes look out. Which is exactly what my one did.

What I find odd is the color. The arms were nearly transparent. When I got closer it changed color.. but only to a very light grey and back to white. Looked like it was not possible for him to change to "real" colors.

Pictures of curled octopus show them in a red color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom