Deep diving with a FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishdip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So been reading a bunch about deep diving 130+ and I noticed a trend or lack of using a full face mask. Why is this? Would a FFM not be safer option due to risk of blacking out and such?

Reactions: OTF
Blacking out from what?
Narc or and other reason divers black out when going deeper. Heck even divers using nitrox I feel like would benefit from it due to the risk of seizure.

The immediate problems that come to mind are the required gas switches for deco, stage, and possibly travel gases. Instead of just verifying the gas and switching regs, now you're into more complicated plumbing, with the attendant risk of breathing the wrong gas and dying.

The immediate problems that comes to mind are the required gas switches for deco, stage, and possibly travel gases. Instead of just verifying the gas and switching regs, now you're into more complicated plumbing, with the attendant risk of breathing the wrong gas and dying.
Thank you for answering the question at hand!

That’s what helium is for.

A FFM is not the solution. You need to watch your PPO2/MOD.
I understand all that but at the end of the day ppl still dive deep on air. And to be fair even looking out for mod you can still have a bad reaction.

I understand all that but at the end of the day ppl still dive deep on air. And to be fair even looking out for mod you can still have a bad reaction.
Deep air is out of fashion and considered dangerous. Some still do it, but it’s not considered good practice.

A FFM is not the prevention for all deep diving ills you seem to think it is. Adds many more complications as another poster noted.

How much deep diving have you done?

Deep air is out of fashion and considered dangerous. Some still do it, but it’s not considered good practice.

A FFM is not the prevention for all deep diving ills you seem to think it is. Adds many more complications as another poster noted.

How much deep diving have you done?
I never once said it will prevent any thing but reduce the chance of reg out of mouth when a diver blacks out. And I have only done a few deep dives this is why I am still reading and asking questions…

I never once said it will prevent any thing but reduce the chance of reg out of mouth when a diver blacks out. And I have only done a few deep dives this is why I am still reading and asking questions…
You don’t think a FFM would be extensively used already if it was so great for deep diving? It’s not and there are good reasons, primarily the complications already mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom