Deep dive panic freeze - My first time to see...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A totally unexpected deep dive panic freeze (diver went catatonic). Had to solve it in an unconventional manner, but it all worked out. Wonder if others would have opted to force an immediate ascent.

I was of a mind that going more than 60 feet would be so hazardous. All the pretty fish and coral aren't found deep. Don't risk it.

Then I challenged myself to go to 40 meters one fine day. I was hooked. Swimming through a wreck. Then "recreational" deep dives became an obsession. An obsession that I have no intention of shaking.

A totally unexpected deep dive panic freeze (diver went catatonic). Had to solve it in an unconventional manner, but it all worked out. Wonder if others would have opted to force an immediate ascent.
An interesting story and it seems like you handled it the only way you could under the circumstances. I've had a few nervous students that have wanted to go up, but none that have refused to ascend. Passive panic is definitely a scary thing to behold. Do you know if he had any recollection after the effect?

I suppose the issue would have been if there hadn't been a hard bottom to climb up. Maybe in that case launch and anchor an SMB so at least they have a tactile reference to the surface to coax them up.

Really enjoy watching your video's by the way.

An interesting story and it seems like you handled it the only way you could under the circumstances. I've had a few nervous students that have wanted to go up, but none that have refused to ascend. Passive panic is definitely a scary thing to behold. Do you know if he had any recollection after the effect?

I suppose the issue would have been if there hadn't been a hard bottom to climb up. Maybe in that case launch and anchor an SMB so at least they have a tactile reference to the surface to coax them up.

Really enjoy watching your video's by the way.
Hello, GF, thanks for the encouragement on the channel.
You know, it was so long ago, I don't recall the debrief in detail nor that diver's recall of the incident. I also never met that diver again.
I agree, so much bad could have gone wrong on a forced ascent from that depth, I get cold sweats just thinking about it...

I only thought about this possibility in retrospect. I did my Deep dive for my "advanced" at 25 meters as well, but it was in Catalina at a location just offshore where the slope was quite gentle. So instead of descending straight down, we followed the bottom away from the shore until we got to the desired depth. It never felt like we were plunging, you know? I assume there's some kind of requirement when you do the Deep dive that it must be over a hard bottom, right? Wouldn't want to have someone who suddenly develops an issue, regardless of whether it's physical or emotional, on the side of a 100m sheer wall.

I assume there's some kind of requirement when you do the Deep dive that it must be over a hard bottom, right? Wouldn't want to have someone who suddenly develops an issue, regardless of whether it's physical or emotional, on the side of a 100m sheer wall.
I don't believe there's such a requirement. In fact, I remember overhearing an instructor talking about doing the advanced class at the oil rigs, where the bottom is hundreds of feet down. I was doing my OW course at the time so I didn't think to question it, but having dived the rigs now several times I don't think it's a good place to train someone who's never been past 60 feet--especially in a group class vs one on one.

I don't believe there's such a requirement. In fact, I remember overhearing an instructor talking about doing the advanced class at the oil rigs, where the bottom is hundreds of feet down. I was doing my OW course at the time so I didn't think to question it, but having dived the rigs now several times I don't think it's a good place to train someone who's never been past 60 feet--especially in a group class vs one on one.
Wow, I guess not! Then again, you can also get your "open water" certification in a tiny body of warm water with unlimited visibility, doesn't mean it's a good idea. One time I was doing a dive tour on vacation to a wall and the guide had us swim back over the reef to descend, to keep us from theoretically going into the abyss.

Back
Top Bottom